Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some paddles for the silver lake trip. I did some searching and found that the 7 paddle haulers are the standard recommendation for a bolt-on all-around duner.

But I don't know what size? I'm running a 12 tooth front.

RMATV only lists 3 sizes for 7 paddle:
20x10x10
22x11x10
22x11x8

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You should run the 20s, you wont have too much wheel spin, necessitating the 22s.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was thinking... but again, I don't have a whole lot of experience with paddles.

So is 10" a good width? Also, 10" rim size ok?

The 20" 7 paddle hauler only comes in 10" rim with 10" width. And would I want an 8" or 9" wide wheel for those?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
All of the haulers are going to be good choices. It's going to be what you prefer. Sand Raptor is right though. If you dune 20s are fine, but if you hillshoot you will want to run 22s. 22s will spin and hang up less. On the other side, you want to spin while duning and 20s would be a better choice. See if they make a 21.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no 21 in the 7 paddle model.

In the 8 paddle, they have a 20x11x9 just like my knobbies, and a 21x12x8.

Are 8 paddles too much for a bolt on machine? Is the size of the rim going to make any difference? I don't intend to do much drag racing, and I don't think the areas I go have many big hills. I'm more interested in just duning.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
If you're going with the 20" I'd suggest the 8" wheel. I had a set of 20x10x10 extremes on my raptor and I was constantly digging myself into a hole. The 8" will have better floatation and better hookup, the downside being that there will be more sidewall roll when you are cornering hard. If you're a dune carver you may want to stick with the 10", otherwise I'd suggest the 8" wheel. Either way, an 8" wide wheel will be fine for any of the 10"-12" wide skat traks. If you want to compromise the 9" is a good choice, plus it has the benefit of working on stock wheels. With the 9" you still have some sidewall but not quite so much sidewall flex. Another benefit of a taller sidewall is a softer ride.

As for paddle # I'll say this, Silver Lake isn't as big as any of the dunes out west. The flat drags are a decent size but the hill climbs are over fast and little drag racing is done on them, mostly just playing. Therefore IMO the "declared standard for all raptors" isn't quite as applicable if you don't get the chance to race up long stretches of hill where having too many paddles really comes into play. You also need to take into consideration that most of these guys are talking about the taller 21 and 22 inch tires for the benefits gained as the tire speed increases. If you're looking at 20" tires for more recreational purposes than all-out drag racing then you don't need to worry quite so much about how well the bike can turn the extra paddles at speed.

I'd go with an 8 or 9 paddle for a 20" or an 8 paddle for a 21" and 7 paddle for a 22". If you get extremes reduce each by 1 paddle.

My bike with 20x10x10 10 paddle Extreme Haulers on 10x8 rims:

A bike that has consistantly evenly matched with my machine using the same tires:

Notice the short sidewall compared to this 22" on an 8" wheel:

See attached another 20" on 10" setup, he was my model for my first tire purchase, that and skat traks not-quite-accurate tech support.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.