Raptor Forum banner

Having hard to start even after changing more parts

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  QuadManiac 
#1 ·
I got a Raptor 660 from 2004 and it is having a hard time to start on it's own the most of the time. I often have to jump-start it with a car og tow it behind and start it that way.
I have tried to fix this problem by changing the cables from battery to the relay to the starter motor and also the frame cable.
I have also changed the startermotor and the battery was changed for like 1,5 years ago. But still struggling to get it going?
Have any good ideas what it could be?
Thank you ;)
Gas Auto part Machine Cylinder Engineering

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
When trying to start is the engine turning over too slowly or at normal speed? If normal then check your valve clearance. As the valves wear, over time, the clearance goes to zero (when the engine is cold) leaving valves open a bit and reducing compression - then the only time it will start (when cold) is by turning the engine over faster - by jumping from a bigger battery or from push starting. Setting proper valve clearance will return it to normal.

If, when trying to start, the engine is turning over too slowly or it goes between fast and slow depending on where it is in the 4 strokes, it could be a failed decompression mechanism or perhaps the cam chain has slipped a tooth or two on one of its sprockets.

Reactions: Nathannewbie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.