Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it happens most time an starting bug me so I aways warm up my quad. it would die on me and wont crank over some time dose it after I ride. I keep trying crank it still wont start I use choke still wont crank over wen warm up. an I killed my damn battery trying start it. today once year race 20miles this fck pissed me off. any one know what could be?

sorry typo use my phone

·
Registered
608 Posts
flipp your kill switch back and forth and turn your key switch on off on off then try we some time have that happen and that usually works

·
Registered
252 Posts
When you change out the battery it may solve all your problems. Yamaha battery is like $135, but you can get a suitable sub at O'Reillys, AutoZone, etc for like $45. It will not be a maintenance free sealed battery, you will have to add the acid yourself.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The battery could be bad, it may not hold a charge after it has ran a while. Th easiest way to check the charging system is to check the battery with a voltmeter, then check it again when it is running.

Battery = 12.5VDC
Running = 13.5 - 14.5VDC

If the charging system is working then you may have a dead cell.

·
Registered
252 Posts
any you know were all grounds are. might have clean it
You have a ground from the battery negative going to the starter, the starter is the ground, because the mount is bolted to the engine case. I would almost put money on it that it is you battery. I had a very similar problem. My Raptor 250 initially started great, then it would struggle to start, then it would crank but not start, then it wouldn't even crank. I put it on the charger and it would start again, but eventually it would dwindle back down to nothing. I tested the battery initially and it had like 9 volts, then I charged it and it had 12.5, and when it was running it showed 13.5. I knew the charging system was good, so the battery was obviously bad. My Raptor 250 was an 08 model, meaning it was manufactured in 07, so the battery was actually 4 years old in 2011. I put in a new battery and everything was fine. It had 13 volts static, and 14 volts running. It never hesitated to start and never got weak again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you are running a stock oem batt. You should get a new one anyway. It's past it's life expectancy of a stock batt. Always a good idea to have a good batt when trying to deal with electric gremlins. Your grounds are on the starter and coil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts