Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! New to the forum here. i need a bit of advice from those that have a bit more time on quads and atvs than i do. my girlfriend and i are in the market for four wheelers. i live in New Hampshire and will do lots of north east trails, woods, and park riding. where i live, the elevation and woods can get pretty varied. my friends are telling to buy a 4wd atv. i want something sporty, and i love the feel of a sport quad. i am fairly new to riding. those that live in the area or have had both, or generally just know more than i do, what would you recommend on a basis of raptor 700r vs renegade 850. my brain is telling me to get the renegade because it has irs, ground clearance, winch, and 4wd. my heart is telling me to get the raptor because i love shifting, the price, riding fast, the lightweight feeling, sliding out the rear, and frankly, i have always wanted one. from those that have had either one: Do you miss your raptor when you ride a renegade? what are the limitations of a raptor terrain wise? what do you like better? what would you recommend? i dont mind working hard to get something somewhere. i just don't know the limitations of the raptor, and whether the rough terrain is going to destroy a raptor if i get one. how does it handle rough or technical terrain and mud? have those who have used both prefer either the renegade or raptor?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think your riding style should decide what quad you buy. I personally wouldn't give up the speed and responsiveness of my Raptor for anything. To me, that exhilaration is why I ride.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I know the 4x4 of the renagade will out perform the raptor in mud and on super technical stuff, but that being said I've put mine through stuff that 4x4 guys do and with the right amount of finess the raptor can do it, I've ridden alot of Rocky/Boulder-y stuff and it we make it work.
Mud wise I've been stuck my fair share let's just say that and move on....
But I think just what ever you enjoy the most like has been said is key, kinda crawling through tech and mud as aposed to the more speed and flick ability of the raptor. Renagades are quick too but I've personally never riden one. See if you can snag some seat time on both and compared?

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
If there is alot of mud, deep mud, ruts, deep ruts, big rocks, and steep mountain sides, a skilled rider can put the 700 where ever it can go within it's limits(ground clearance and traction), but the fun on those kind of limits quickly gets old.
The 700 lacks ground clearance at the axle skidplate, and there are some long, steep hills that a 2wd cannot easily climb unless you have room for a running start, which is not always possible.
I love my 700, and wouldn't trade it for a 4wd, but, I don't do deep mud or mountain sides. Use the right tool for the job.
If I had to ride on mountains and/or through deep mud often, I would have a 4wd for easy transportation.
If where you will be riding would be fire roads or powerline, absoloutely a Raptor.
Consider the conditions where you will ride the most, and your own skill level.
The 2 machines are apples to oranges in comparison to each other.

·
Registered
‘18 700RSE
9 Posts
I bought my raptor for trail riding with friends that ride sport quads. It’s a blast for that type of riding. If I had been buying a wheeler for working on my property, plowing my 1/4 mile long driveway, dragging deer out of the woods, or exploring with my neighbors who all ride utility 4x4’s like Grizzlies and Outlanders, I would have a 850 or 1000 Renegade or Outlander parked in the garage when not riding it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts