Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can run hard for about 10-15 minutes and turn it off. Then i turn it back on and after it idles for a while it dies. I start it back up and it runs for about 45 seconds. I found the longer I keep it off after that the longer it will stay running. I installed a rebuild kit for the carbs. Basically it's running the same. It seemed to run better for that 10-15 minutes but then it did the same exact thing. I was told it may be electrical and as it gets up to temperature there is something with the ignition system that is breaking down at high temp. I am going for the last possible ride of the season next week and I have to get this things running right on the cheap if possible.Please help,Thanks for reading.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
It is most likely your jetting causing the issue at idle since from the sounds of it, it doesnt stop unless you idle............
Try adjusting the fuel screws in some............

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have gone riding once before and I rode it for about 4 hours with minimal problems. I ended up bypassing the PB and it ran fine. It wasn't until I repaired the loose ground for my reverse limiter that this stated. The carbs were jetted and it idled and ran great when i bought it. It has a full HMF exhaust and that's it.

When this happens i can't even throttle through it either. It just dies.

I did find the insulation on the black wire going to the coil was toast. I have repaired, but haven't tested. I'm having a hard time believing that was the problem. What else might it be. Vacuum?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have gone riding once before and I rode it for about 4 hours with minimal problems. I ended up bypassing the PB and it ran fine. It wasn't until I repaired the loose ground for my reverse limiter that this stated. The carbs were jetted and it idled and ran great when i bought it. It has a full HMF exhaust and that's it.

When this happens i can't even throttle through it either. It just dies.

I did find the insulation on the black wire going to the coil was toast. I have repaired, but haven't tested. I'm having a hard time believing that was the problem. What else might it be. Vacuum?
The black wire at the coils is the ground, try regrounding the green and white wire that hooks to the reverse switch, if this has a bad connection, itwill turn on the reverse rev limiter..........
The parkbrake rev limiter wiring is the green and yellow wire, you can get rid of that by cutting the green and yellow wire at the cdi and insulate it, this wires needs to be grounded to turn on the rev limiter.........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will go over both of those. I haven't committed to cutting anything at the cdi because i had heard a few different ways to do it but by cutting it at the CDI you eliminate about 4' of wire that could still be grounded out. Right?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I will go over both of those. I haven't committed to cutting anything at the cdi because i had heard a few different ways to do it but by cutting it at the CDI you eliminate about 4' of wire that could still be grounded out. Right?
You are absolutely right................:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now what do you know about testing primary coils and the stator? That is were i think i am going to end up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am trying to test everything before and after the motor reaches running temp. I was just getting the bike up to temp (in neutral) and the reverse light started blinking systematically in 1 sec intervals. What does this mean? I think fixing the ground on the main coil was the problem. I am still checking everything out though

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I am trying to test everything before and after the motor reaches running temp. I was just getting the bike up to temp (in neutral) and the reverse light started blinking systematically in 1 sec intervals. What does this mean? I think fixing the ground on the main coil was the problem. I am still checking everything out though
The engine is reving too high in idle for too long................

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I am still learning all the corks this thing has. I'm pretty sure i worked it out though. Thanks for you help.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
The engine is reving too high in idle for too long................
I didn't know that...my buddy has a 660 with the flashing light all the time...I thought it was just bad sensor....now I can fix it and look like I know what I'm doing:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts