Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have A 01 raptor 660 been bore to A 102mm and it has blown a head gasket twice after 5 hours of run time. The head is good and been checked as was the cylinder after bore by yamaha. the part is oem gasket from Yamaha I don't know what I'm doing wrong with it I have done many quads but this one is turning into a lemon any help is much appreciated
Thanks stealth

·
Registered
39 Posts
are you using 100% coolant and not the pre mix? I did that and overheated a few times, but it could be a bad thermostat

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,800 Posts
Check that your head gasket hole isn't smaller then the cylinder bore.

Always use a factory head gasket.

Check your head to be sure it isn't warped.

Be sure to re-torque. I do it at least 3 times.

Be sure to blead the coolant to the head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check that your head gasket hole isn't smaller then the cylinder bore.

Always use a factory head gasket.

Check your head to be sure it isn't warped.

Be sure to re-torque. I do it at least 3 times.

Be sure to blead the coolant to the head.
I didnt not check the cylinder bire to gasket now that i think bout it i bought gasket frim yamaha head was chrck and so was cylinder base i double c hecked the torque and i didnt see no bleed screw for it i kno 700 had it so i bled it like i do a car

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have new thermostate and looked over water pump and straight antifreeze no premix
That might do it, i unfortunately did the same thing and mine was overheating a bit, but the fan would kick in and cool it off, check your fan, antifreeze doesn’t do a good job at dissipating heat, when you mix it with distilled water it gets the benefit of better heat dissipation, and the properties of antifreeze, there are charts online that show ratios if you need them

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fan turns on i kno that its so u saying its antifreeze
Try putting in just distilled water or get the 50/50 premix, not the concentrate, you could have probably with the waterjacket but id start with that before you have to take everything apart

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
it is not likely to overheat just due to using the wrong ratio between water and anti-freeze - and, BTW, pre-mix is the ideal ratio. The Raptor has an extremely good cooling system, assuming it's all working properly. Does the overheat light ever illuminate (except while starting)? If not, you're not overheating.

I suspect, as already said, that an OEM head gasket may be too small for a 102mm jug? But, I'm just drawing at straws here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is not likely to overheat just due to using the wrong ratio between water and anti-freeze - and, BTW, pre-mix is the ideal ratio. The Raptor has an extremely good cooling system, assuming it's all working properly. Does the overheat light ever illuminate (except while starting)? If not, you're not overheating.

I suspect, as already said, that an OEM head gasket may be too small for a 102mm juBut, I'm just drawing at straws here.
No it doesnt ill

I suspect, as already said, that an OEM head gasket may be too small for a 102mm jug? But, I'm just drawing at straws here.

No light doesnt turn on and bulb is good and so is switch im gonna run another cylinder leak test and if so i gotta head back off for blown head gasket any ways i have new gasket ordered new head bolts and check surface of head and dye it for level.. anything i should check or get if this doesnt wotk then idk wat todo

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
Straight antifreeze??? I thought you HAD to mix it.
No, you don't HAVE to mix it; but it's freezing point is lowest when properly mixed and its thermal conductivity is better when mixed too. And, most importantly, antifreeze/water mixture has a higher boiling temperature than water alone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts