Raptor Forum banner

Head porting? Need advice if I ever go that route

925 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  armety 
#1 ·
Question for some of you guys that shipped your head off to Kenz, Rossier or Venom etc to get yours ported. Was it hard to find a local guy that was good at porting. Im asking because I have searched around. I called a local Yamaha dealership and the machanic/tech told me that he does not do it but there is a guy in Charleston, SC that does a really good job.

He said the guy recently ported a former managers Honda and he did a good job. He said the guy is known all accross the US for his work and he does major work for BIG names. I dont think he specializes in one particular make. So he gave me the number and I called but I got a voice mail saying he will be back tomorrow because they are at the INDY (Whatever car race it was a few days ago). What do you guys think of this? Not a good idea?

#7 ·
VelociRaptor said:
Research your questions like:
"How do you overcome the 700s exhaust port shortcomings?"
"What valve seat designs do you use?"
"Any mods on the valves themselves?"
Ok .. I appreciate your help a whole lot but I know nothing about porting heads. I just know if its done correct you can expect great HP increase. What answers should I expect back from him when I ask those questions? I was going to ask him more general questions.

#9 ·
Research your questions like:
"How do you overcome the 700s exhaust port shortcomings?"
"What valve seat designs do you use?"
"Any mods on the valves themselves?"
Velociraptor,
I think I seen some pictures here somewhere, though I can't find them, of a head your ported.  It seems you have some good insight to what things to address, could you maybe elaborate a little on the procedure you use, the modifications you did to valves, ect.  Thanks in advance.

Also, is there value in changing to bigger valves on stock bore engines? stock bore with higher compression? 

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.