Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found i had a bad head gasket and pulled it apart.
After reading some old post, i found that the bolts stretch.
I really don't have that highly modified motor,but i don't want to have any more problems so to be safe, i will stud the head. Any suggestions where to get these?
Also, i had a cosmetic gasket kit installed and noticed some of the cooling jackets for the head gasket were blocked? This is normal? What the reason for this? Won't the cylinder temp be too hot?
Should i get a stock or different brand of head gasket for this?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Found i had a bad head gasket and pulled it apart.
After reading some old post, i found that the bolts stretch.
I really don't have that highly modified motor,but i don't want to have any more problems so to be safe, i will stud the head. Any suggestions where to get these?
Also, i had a cosmetic gasket kit installed and noticed some of the cooling jackets for the head gasket were blocked? This is normal? What the reason for this? Won't the cylinder temp be too hot?
Should i get a stock or different brand of head gasket for this?
Some of the coolant passages in the gasket are blocked, this is normal, as far as head bolts, they stetch when you tighten them up, you can get studs, 125 dollars, but ths stock bolt will suffice for stock or modded engines, if you heavily modify the engine, then a stronger bolt or stud should be used..............

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me clarify a couple things: The motor didn't have that many hrs on it when the head gasket went, maybe 18-20hrs..I rebuilt it when 3rd gear went out. It is 1st over.
Also see my tag line about what is in my motor. So i am wondering if what i got in it is enough to warrant buy new studs.
I would rather spend the money and not have to chance pulling it apart again, only if it is needed.
Thanks for all comments

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Let me clarify a couple things: The motor didn't have that many hrs on it when the head gasket went, maybe 18-20hrs..I rebuilt it when 3rd gear went out. It is 1st over.
Also see my tag line about what is in my motor. So i am wondering if what i got in it is enough to warrant buy new studs.
I would rather spend the money and not have to chance pulling it apart again, only if it is needed.
Thanks for all comments
Stock bolts should suffice, there are plenty of reasons for head gasket failure, warped head, etched head surfaces where the head gasket contacts the fire ring area of the head, warped cylinder or etched surfaces, improperly torqued head bolts or head bolts that do not hold their torque..............

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the thing, everything was fine before....i did torque the bolts,head surfaces look OK,haven't checked for warpage......
Do you think the stock yamaha gasket is ok for me?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
That's the thing, everything was fine before....i did torque the bolts,head surfaces look OK,haven't checked for warpage......
Do you think the stock yamaha gasket is ok for me?
Everything may look okay, just depends what you are looking for..............

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Just remember, if you stud, you can't pull the head while engine is in frame.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Most of the stud kits are designed to be removed using either allen or torx wrenches......................

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Then what's the value of using a stud, if you're just going to remove it as you would with a bolt? Easier to get the proper torque on head nuts than on head bolts? Or, not turning on the case threads when under torque load?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Then what's the value of using a stud, if you're just going to remove it as you would with a bolt? Easier to get the proper torque on head nuts than on head bolts? Or, not turning on the case threads when under torque load?
MORE torque, greater clamping force than the OEM bolts. You use studs instead of bigger head bolts because studs only have to deal with the stretch, not the stretch AND the twist like bolts. This makes for a better, more reliable, stronger seal.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The later, instead of torquing in the base it just pulls and the nut turns on the stud...........

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Over kill or extra insurance. What ever you want to call it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts