Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
head studs: cyl. head vs frame

I just puted in a head studs and I heard that you would not be able to remove cyl. head without unscrewing the studs first. But it turned out that I installed and removed the head with no problem, with studs being in place... There was a plenty of room between studs and frame.
I shot a short vedeo, but as of now I having problem to download the video. I will post a clip when I'll figure out how to post one.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
One more reason I started this tread with video clip, caz I read here on this forum that with head studs you even have to take the motor out to take the head off.
As you can see on video, there is plenty room to take the head off even with studs in place.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Whats the advantage to headstuds? Where you get them at anyway?
It squeezes the head gasket tighter, less chance of head gasket problems...........

A bit of a crazy price though............I got cheap and use a 3/8 bolt, and torque to 42 lbs.............

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
Good job brother Valiko75. I'm seeing the proof in the pudding :thumbsup:

And the experts said it couldn't be done :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
It squeezes the head gasket tighter, less chance of head gasket problems...........

A bit of a crazy price though............I got cheap and use a 3/8 bolt, and torque to 42 lbs.............
Aren't the threads metric? How did you do it with the 3/8" bolts?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Whats the advantage to headstuds? Where you get them at anyway?
I got my Cylinder and Head studs from KMS Performance.

They allow you to torque them down more. They aslo make it so when your torquing them down your not turning a steel bolt in aluminum threaded hole. So your less likely to do damage to the aluminum threads.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

I don't want to say its a cheep way out..More like a less expensive way to go. I have well over 80 miles on the motor with no head problems at all with Willy's 3/8 head bolts.
From what I hear the head studs are a great fix but a bit pricy . Great job with the vid Valiko75.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, its little overpriced for 6 studs, but it is worth it. A specialy for high compresion pistons with big bores... It will give you a good insurance for the head gasket not to fail and less chances the cyl. threads would be stripped...
I did squized my gasket with studs at about 45 flb, thats almost twice then stock specs!...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just an update: I had an issue with my cyl. sleeve was sticking out .002" after replacing sleeve. Some members said that it needs to be flush, otherwise gasket will leack. I desided to go ahead and live with it. But before I sqeezed the gasked I bought studs and installed the cyl. head with .002" difference. With the studs I was able to torque my cyl. head to 45 flb.
So, the results: last saturday I went for spin at Sand lake. I was riding, racing all day with out any problems. I think the studs played a role in sealing the gasked even with .002" sleeve sticking out...
I think even studs are lill expensive, but its worth every dollar.

Also thanks to Willy for his oil mode, I feel more safe now knowing that the piston pin is getting more oil. :thumbsup:

Here is the pic. of cyl. sleeve with .002" diff.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts