Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, since there isn't a introduction forum I figured I would do it here.
HI, I am Jim and Live in NE Georgia. My passion is sportbikes but winter up here is not good for riding the mountain twisties so I figured I would get a Raptor.

Anyway tonight I am picking up a 2003 Raptor 686 that has just been built up. The guy says he builds them for a living so lets hope its a good one. I have never ridden an ATV before so I know I am in for a sharp learning curve on this beast. I have gone down on my GSXR and have learned to stay within about 75% of my capabilities so I don't wreck myself or whatever I am on.

I am sure I will be asking tons of questions here so my first one is: Are there any good riding instruction videos out there about the basics of riding these beasts???

Thanks eeryone and well met.
Jim

·
Registered
532 Posts
Jump on, hit the trottle , and hang on! That's my riding style

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hi Everyone, since there isn't a introduction forum I figured I would do it here.
HI, I am Jim and Live in NE Georgia. My passion is sportbikes but winter up here is not good for riding the mountain twisties so I figured I would get a Raptor.

Anyway tonight I am picking up a 2003 Raptor 686 that has just been built up. The guy says he builds them for a living so lets hope its a good one. I have never ridden an ATV before so I know I am in for a sharp learning curve on this beast. I have gone down on my GSXR and have learned to stay within about 75% of my capabilities so I don't wreck myself or whatever I am on.

I am sure I will be asking tons of questions here so my first one is: Are there any good riding instruction videos out there about the basics of riding these beasts???

Thanks eeryone and well met.
Jim
Welcome to the forum..............learn as I did, drive it..............:D

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
if i was you, id find a nice open spot to learn on'' stay slow for a while till you get the hang of it8) i got my first atc 36 years ago and i still ride slow and easy:wootwoot:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be riding very hill trials, unfortunately the Raptor is not as good as I hoped.

The throttle isn't disengaging all the way, (hopefully just a new cable) It wont get out of reverse properly, and the idle sticks way too high... Bolts weren't tightened on the engine enough so there is oil everywhere...

I either have to start learning how to fix this thing or spend a ton at the dealership!!!

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I will be riding very hill trials, unfortunately the Raptor is not as good as I hoped.

The throttle isn't disengaging all the way, (hopefully just a new cable) It wont get out of reverse properly, and the idle sticks way too high... Bolts weren't tightened on the engine enough so there is oil everywhere...

I either have to start learning how to fix this thing or spend a ton at the dealership!!!
I was going to say be weary of the quads heavy onthe modded side anyway. I'm not far from north GA, and good stock 660's sell in the area for $1500 on the regular. I hope you didn't pay too much for yours. When you get it right, check out Durhamtown a little past Elberton,GA. It's a blast and plenty of trails to learn on from beginner to expert. 8)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

Is thear proper free play in the throttle cable?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh Boy..It doesn't sound like he builds them for a living! First thing I would do is download the free service manual from the forum...There is an adjustment on the reverse cable that may help. There is a cover on the left carb that the cable goes into...pull that cover off and see if its all corroded inside. If water has gotten in there and rusted things up that could be the cause of your throttle problem. You can unhook the cable and move the cam thing behind that cover with your finger and see if it returns to zero quickly and completely.

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

Are you sure you dont have a hanging idle because of dirty or too small pilots jets causing your high idle speed...........

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've also heard that loose or cracked carb boots could cause similar idle issues.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Try something , if it don't work report back with new conditions , symptoms . These guys are really good at helping out. The more detailed you can give them the better they can help. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts