Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Marcus and as you can probably tell I am new to the forum.. I am 28 yrs old and have ridden all my life.

I am going to be in the market for a raptor very very soon. I am looking at 660's because of a budget.

I am wondering if some of you would be willing to discuss with me the pro's and cons of each year model 01-05. From what I have gathered from some of the research I have done on my own 01's have some tranny problems.. Maybe that's just poor riding habits?

I Hope to learn a a lot here and be part of your fine community..

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Hey Marcus. What price range were you looking at? You can find some CHEAP 700's around just gotta look... Yeah 01's got a tranny issue you don't want...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Marcus. What price range were you looking at? You can find some CHEAP 700's around just gotta look... Yeah 01's got a tranny issue you don't want...
I have been price checking in my area (WV) for used raptors. From what I have found I am looking for a well maintained not absurdly hopefully adult ridden bike around 1500-2400. Depending on year and hours on it.

Do you or would you rather explain 01 problems? Is it poor riding habits or just natural selection if you would as being the first model year and having clutch problems or is it tranny related?

I do not know off hand and want to find as much information as possible..To make an absolutely educated purchase.. My last quad I really rode that was not mine,but a friends was a 98 warrior...

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
01 had transmission issues because of the design. It wasn't terrible, and not everyone had the problem, but it was a weak point and had much too high of a failure rate to ignore. The design was changed in 02 and subsequent models were rather robust in terms of the transmission.

Regardless of which year you get, 02-05, chances are you will eventually need to replace the one-way starter clutch and associated 52 tooth gear. Parts are about 250 dollars and aftermarket alternatives are very reliable, some even come with a lifetime guarantee.

The differences between the 02-05 are negligible IMO, and you should shop more on price and condition than any particular year of those 4.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
01 had transmission issues because of the design. It wasn't terrible, and not everyone had the problem, but it was a weak point and had much too high of a failure rate to ignore. The design was changed in 02 and subsequent models were rather robust in terms of the transmission.

Regardless of which year you get, 02-05, chances are you will eventually need to replace the one-way starter clutch and associated 52 tooth gear. Parts are about 250 dollars and aftermarket alternatives are very reliable, some even come with a lifetime guarantee.

The differences between the 02-05 are negligible IMO, and you should shop more on price and condition than any particular year of those 4.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with your purchase.
Thanks alot.. Like I said before I will be in the market and ran across little information besides "I have a 01 660 and having tranny problems." I really don't mind at all to replace known wear parts,but that will have affect on my offer price when it comes time to buy. I have found several 700 raptors around my area close to my price range and have also considered those. I just fell in love with the 660 since they were new.

It's just a sentimental thing I guess..

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Welcome to Raptor Forums! This is a great forum, lots of very knowledgable people. I can't really help you. Because Mad Dog, and Yamahama Guy pretty much summed up what the '01 transmissions are about. 2nd gear goes out, some have the problem some don't. And so on....

Hope we can help you. And good luck with your choice! Raptor's rule!

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
use caution when looking at an 01, anybody who has one knows about the tranny and one way issue and they will tell you that it has been addressed because there is no way to prove it hasn't unless you open the motor up in the guys front yard. I had this problem when I bought mine. The guy said the tranny and one way was updated only to find out later it was all a lie. ask for reciepts or any kind of proof before taking his/her word. I've had nothing but bad luck with mine since the day after I bought it but I still love it. and the raptorforum.com community is second to none :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
use caution when looking at an 01, anybody who has one knows about the tranny and one way issue and they will tell you that it has been addressed because there is no way to prove it hasn't unless you open the motor up in the guys front yard. I had this problem when I bought mine. The guy said the tranny and one way was updated only to find out later it was all a lie. ask for reciepts or any kind of proof before taking his/her word. I've had nothing but bad luck with mine since the day after I bought it but I still love it. and the raptorforum.com community is second to none :)
Thanks for the reply. Now that a few have mentioned to stray away from the 01 model year because of known design flaws if you will I will no longer be searching for an 01.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a newer 02-05 model with updated fixes and hopefully a little less ride time..

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Where are you from? I have found some nice 660s for good prices on my local Craigslist...Of course after I bought my beat up one and fixed it up...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I previously rode an 02 660 which my gf now rides because i bought a 700. depending what u plan to do with it they are great quads and can do tons. my first sugestion is find a well maintained one that shifts through all the gears easily. and beware of the guys who do intakes and exhaust and dont jet. ive seen a bunch here in ny and they have been running lean which is just asking for trouble. another good thing about the 02-05 is the rear link flip mod is easy and soooo worth it. good luck in ur search and welcome!

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
If you're finding 700's in your price range then thats the way to go.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcomes guys!!!

I live in WV. I have found only a couple 700 near my area (within 100 miles) just shopping around on craigslist.

They are few and far between. When it is time to buy I do not want something that has already been modified. I would love to find something well maintained and 100% stock.

I know most of what I will find will have an exhaust,jet kit,and intake already installed. If they can show me paper work of what was done I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up after a quick ride and a plug reading.I have been a mechanic for most of my life.

I would love to pick a 700 up but only if the wife allows a little bit of a price hike.. LOL..

If they only thing I can find in my price range at the time is something with these simple mods are there things I should look out for besides what the plug looks like?

Any particular manufactures to be wary of? Also is there anyway of knowing exactly what the bikes life cycle was beyond paper work and short of tearing into it?

Sorry for all the nonsense questions,but from what I see these bikes are like mustangs a lot have only bought them to do one thing..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would also like to add I do not plan modifications for what I get. Eventually I would love to have the wife ride on her own and possibly even my daughter to ride after she has had a lot more ride experience to ride this.

simple things would be no big deal,but just not looking to do stroker kits,swing arms or anything else that dramatically changes the way it rides and reacts..

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Hey, I remember you from WVMotorsports. I live in the Charleston area. If you ever go to look at a Raptor give me a yell and I'll go with ya to check it out. I've had mine for 2 years now. I know where a few are for sale that are in decent shape for the price.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Welcome to the site, Hope you stick around a while. Some really great people hang around here and are loads of help.

You could always play the "but honey, if I get X id have to spend Y to equal the same if I buy Z to start with"

Might work...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the site, Hope you stick around a while. Some really great people hang around here and are loads of help.

You could always play the "but honey, if I get X id have to spend Y to equal the same if I buy Z to start with"

Might work...

That's exactly what I was talking to my wife about the other night. For what the bikes sell for used I could spend 6-700 more and get a much newer 700r.

I will have my budget increase to around 3600 to find something nice.. Now just have to get it together..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, I remember you from WVMotorsports. I live in the Charleston area. If you ever go to look at a Raptor give me a yell and I'll go with ya to check it out. I've had mine for 2 years now. I know where a few are for sale that are in decent shape for the price.

Yes I was on WV motorsports for a little bit. I may take you up on that..

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You could find an amazing 700 for what you mentioned your budget is now.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
"Amazing" might be going a little far. I don't judge the market by the one steal I find every other month, but rather the prices I typically see online and advertised. 3500 is stockish 06-08 money in the eastern midwest (ohio/pa/wv/kentucky)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Amazing" might be going a little far. I don't judge the market by the one steal I find every other month, but rather the prices I typically see online and advertised. 3500 is stockish 06-08 money in the eastern midwest (ohio/pa/wv/kentucky)
Yes sir that will be exactly what I am looking for.. As stock as possible. Nerf bars and things will be ok. Maybe a pipe and air filter but anymore than that and I don't think I will be interested..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts