Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
We don't use open face...open face is face shield only...we use "dirt or mx" helmets cause they are lighter and sometimes cheaper than motorcycle helmets and its easier to change goggles than shields...not to mention they flow air ALOT better...but if u want to wear a visorless helmet go for it.

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
when I ride off road only I wear an MX helmet with goggles. But when I ride on the road (my Raptor is street legal) or a bit of both I wear a Shoei Hornet DS which is a 'dual sport' helmet, so it looks like an MX lid but it has a visor.

The main reason people don't wear road bike lids is that the visor doesn't stop dust getting in your eyes and there is no peak to protect from roost.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I always use a helmet, well 99% the time, in the summer it is a MX and in the winter I use my street helmet that I have changed into a heated face shield for snowmobiling so it does not fog up or build up with ice.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I use a "Dual Sport" helmet, like people wear for "adventure riding"
This has a visor & face shield, but I mostly ride with the shield up unless I'm getting right up on someones roost.
I wear sunglasses inside the helmet mostly...........

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
I wear a MX full face helmet and over the glasses goggles. Sun glasses in daylight and clear glasses for night runs. Also 2 pair's of goggles, tinted or clear.

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,723 Posts
Also MX style helmet with goggles. 100% of the time. And then I also use custom made earplugs. Helps a lot to protect your hearing, Raptor with dual exhaust is loud!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
I also use custom made earplugs. Helps a lot to protect your hearing, Raptor with dual exhaust is loud!
I forgot about earplugs. I used to wear them with my Honda 250R big bore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are some interesting research about helmets.. In a nutshell, Snell approved is bad for slower impacts, ie. kids/ MX riding...because its harder foam and while giving more protection for high speed crashes, ie. street, 70+, it causes concussions in slower speed impacts....So they recomend snell for street, DOT for offroad. Apparently the DOT is softer, providing more protection at slower speeds.... Im still researching, and I emailed a company.. Just thought Id add this to the discussion.I haveant heard much on closed VS open face...I think that is just preference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts