Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just recently bought a 660 raptor (2 days ago), having a huge problem with it.

When idle in neutral bike is fine and also seems ok when being revved at high revs.

The problem is as soon as I put the bike into gear and set off the bike more or less cuts out at around I would say roughly 2000 - 2500 revs and sputters until I change gear.

I can physically not get passed around 65mph and this is a big problem for me.

I had a quick look at the most common problems thread and just wondered if the quad would still have problems when in neutral revving up which my quad does not if it either of the limiters? Also I have not noticed any backfiring.

The quad does have a yoshimura end can only so unsure if it could cause anything significant like this.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing and all help would be appreciated thanks guys.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can physically not get passed around 65mph and this is a big problem for me.[/QUOTE]

???

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
THe bike tops out at 75 normally... 65 is pretty close. I think a little more detail in the symptoms are going to be necessary to debug this. Perhaps you are just jetted a little lean?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Give us a list of your mods and jetting specs and we can tell you if you are close to where it should be..............
I think it is jetting related...........

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Unsure

I don't think I was clear enough, what I mean is the quad literally dies at high revs and then comes back on and off jerking the bike as it does so, it may be close to topping out at 75 if thats what the top speed is on these things but to physically get there I have to change gear at around 2500rpm or the power just disappears and the bike sputters as the bikes revs go up and down nearing this level.

if the parking brake limiter is the problem would the bike still rev out in neutral, I will check this though to eliminate the possibility thanks for the replys guys.

Is it more likely to be parking brake limiter or reverse limiter? I'll check the parking break limiter first as it seems easier to check?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as I know

As far as I know the only thing changed is the end can, which is a yoshimura off road can, I don't know the size of the jets, I would assume they are factory standard as everything else on the bike is standard, this is a road legal 2004 660r, the can just makes it sound ridiculouly loud. thanks again

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got rev counter working

Hi I was wrong about the rev cut out point, the quad is pretty much cutting out and losing all power at around 4500 to 5000 revs.

This might seem not too bad but I mean literally all power is gone and causes the bike to pretty much cut out, its not like its just redlining its just cuting out until it gets under this point, I can get no real power out of this thing and its driving me crazy.

When it is in neutral and i rev the engine it will redline at around 7000 rpm which seems reasonable?

It does not cut out when in neutral only limits the power from going any higher. What is the most probable cause of this?

Another thing I would like to add is that the reverse gear has been disabled by the previous owner, could this be part of the problem with the reverse limiter?

Sorry for all the stupid questions I just know absolutely nothing about these things. Thanks

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hi I was wrong about the rev cut out point, the quad is pretty much cutting out and losing all power at around 4500 to 5000 revs.

This might seem not too bad but I mean literally all power is gone and causes the bike to pretty much cut out, its not like its just redlining its just cutting out until it gets under this point, I can get no real power out of this thing and its driving me crazy.

When it is in neutral and i rev the engine it will redline at around 7000 rpm which seems reasonable?

It does not cut out when in neutral only limits the power from going any higher. What is the most probable cause of this?

Another thing I would like to add is that the reverse gear has been disabled by the previous owner, could this be part of the problem with the reverse limiter?

Sorry for all the stupid questions I just know absolutely nothing about these things. Thanks
Again I say, check your jetting and give us a list of the jetting specs, pilots jets, needles and their position and the size of the main jets........
Also a complete list of the mods done to it including the intake system and exhaust.............

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
What gearing are you running? If you have it geared lower then you will not be able to go as fast. This will make the speed limiter kick in faster.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gearing

This problem is certainly not to do with the gearing as the bike revs out quite happily to 7000 when the limiter kicks in in neutral.

It isn't like its redlining, the power completely shuts off for a few seconds and then comes back on intermittently jerking the bike, tried going round some cars only for the bike to give up half way round.

The problem is at its worst when the throttle is fully open, if I ease the throttle through the gears it seems ok as long as i keep the revs low.

I'm talking around 50mph in top gear (5th) at low revs, it is near impossible to go any faster without the bike shutting off because i have opened the throttle too far.

If for example I wanted to wheelie this thing it would be impossible because as soon as the front end would come up the power would completely shut off due to the revs being too high, I can't maintain a decent constant power, its so hard to describe properly I think I will try to make a video and post it so people can see what im talking about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
looking to get a newer model (07-10) raptor..friend of mine told me the fuel in my country (haiti) will damage my engine because the fuel here has to much LED in it...what can i do to prevent engine damage...a few friends suggested getting an 05 or 04..what do you guys suggest if I get a newer model? looking to buy in the next month or so.. I'm always in Miami FL so if you guys interested in selling let me know..Mechanic here said that to much LED in the fuel wont work well with the fuel injection..need HELP quick so i can make up my mind

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
This problem is certainly not to do with the gearing as the bike revs out quite happily to 7000 when the limiter kicks in in neutral.

It isn't like its redlining, the power completely shuts off for a few seconds and then comes back on intermittently jerking the bike, tried going round some cars only for the bike to give up half way round.

The problem is at its worst when the throttle is fully open, if I ease the throttle through the gears it seems ok as long as i keep the revs low.

I'm talking around 50mph in top gear (5th) at low revs, it is near impossible to go any faster without the bike shutting off because i have opened the throttle too far.

If for example I wanted to wheelie this thing it would be impossible because as soon as the front end would come up the power would completely shut off due to the revs being too high, I can't maintain a decent constant power, its so hard to describe properly I think I will try to make a video and post it so people can see what im talking about.

This sounds like a jetting problem to me. Your mains may be too small and you might need to move your needles. What is your current list of mods? What sized mains/pilots/needle position/fuel screws? What elevation?

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
The only time I have had similar symtoms with my Raptor was when I had a partially plugged main jet. The bike would run just fine up to beyond around 2/3 to 3/4 throttle, where it would just fall on it's face - sputtering and stuttering. Cleaning the carbs and the plugged jet fully resolved the issue.

Does this sound, perhaps, more like your symptoms - throttle position related as opposed to being directly related to RPM?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
perhaps you are right

Perhaps you are right QM, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to take this thing to bits and put it back together, I will try disconecting the parking brake and reverse sensors first to make sure it isnt either of those and then probably take it into a shop to see if they can sort it.
thanks for your help everyone.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
This sounds like a jetting problem to me. Your mains may be too small and you might need to move your needles. What is your current list of mods? What sized mains/pilots/needle position/fuel screws? What elevation?
I have asked also, and have not received the proper information, hence I can't help. I am sure it is jetting related also.............

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
?

I don't know the jet sizes because at the time of the original post I had literally had the quad for a day and a half and ridden it once.

Over here in the UK its below freezing and the ground is covered in snow. I wouldn't know how to take this apart and check the jets.

I have already said it was advertised as everything being as standard except the end exhaust can only which is Yoshimura off road, so I would assume without checking that the jets have not been changed from whatever they are as a standard when these things come out of the factory, apart from that I can't give anymore information and it looks like it will have to pay someone who knows what they are doing to fix it.

I've got to say I'm a little disappointed, hope I can get it sorted out.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I don't know the jet sizes because at the time of the original post I had literally had the quad for a day and a half and ridden it once.

Over here in the UK its below freezing and the ground is covered in snow. I wouldn't know how to take this apart and check the jets.

I have already said it was advertised as everything being as standard except the end exhaust can only which is Yoshimura off road, so I would assume without checking that the jets have not been changed from whatever they are as a standard when these things come out of the factory, apart from that I can't give anymore information and it looks like it will have to pay someone who knows what they are doing to fix it.

I've got to say I'm a little disappointed, hope I can get it sorted out.
Well Brookie, do you realize how often we hear this story that everything is supposed to be stock. But if the bike has an aftermarket exhaust, it needs to be jetted for that modification. This is the reason we need to know what the jetting is, we can tell you put in different jetting, but if it already has proper jetting, then we could help you in a different route. Usually the stock jetting is 22.5 pilots, needles about half way up with the mains around 142 and 145...............

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks

Thanks willykiller, I'll see what I can find out, going to try disconnecting parking brake sensor tomorrow and also the reverse sensor too.

Whoever had this before has disabled the reverse gear altogether and I have heard this can cause the sensor to malfunction.

thanks guys

·
Master of the Electron
14,827 Posts
ALmost, Brookie - disabling the PARKING BRAKE can cause the parking brake switch to malfunction. Don't be too dissapointed, it is sooo common for the new owner to have to resolve problems that the seller wasn't willing to (or was too lazy to) deal with. We'll help you through them (and, believe me, we know most of them).

If either the parking brake or reverse switch circuits are malfunctioning, the bike will spit and sputter JUST above idle and you will not be able to 'break through' this limit and get to higher RPM's. It will do this whether riding or just reving in neutral, so this does not sound like your issue. But, just in case, unplug the parking brake switch and ground the reverse switch wire (both outlined in "Most Common Raptor 660 Problems" in the stickies at the top of this section) to eliminate them as present or future problems, once and for all.

Because I don't believe it is PB or reverse limiter related, and because you just got your bike, the most likely problem (that matches your symptoms) is mis-jetting or plugged jets. I suggest you download the service manual (free in the 660 maintenance section stickies), study it a bit and then tackle dismantling and cleaning the carbs. You can also read several good stickies on the carbs to help - Carbs 101 comes to mind.

When you have the carbs open, you can report to us what main jet and pilot jet numbers are installed in each carb, which will allow us to suggest whether THIS might be your issue. Often a previous owner (P/O) will add a free-flow mod - exhaust or intake - without properly changing the jetting... and if ready to sell, they'll pass the problem to you.

It is very common for a new purchaser to find dirty carbs - the P/O has let the bike sit for a month or two while attempting to sell - which allows fuel to evaporate from the carbs and leave behind gunk which plugs the jets and passages.

How did the P/O disable reverse gear, and are you interested in returning it to operation?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts