Raptor Forum banner

Help a Newbie Find the 3 Basic Mods

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  135boom 
#1 ·
First off, hello to everyone. Been riding and racing ATVs and dirtbikes since 1981 so I'm not a newbie to the sport, but pending getting the cash in hand for our Z400 in a few days I'll be a 1st time rappy owner.

I've searched, but cannot find the origination post of what the 3 basic mods are/how ya do them. Seen a lot of posts that mention the 3 basic mods but didn't see what the heck they were.

Any linkage would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
3 basic mods
1. Exhaust
2. Air Filter
3. EFI controller.

i have 2 quads and this is how they are broken down

Quad 1
1. HMF Full Exhaust
2. Pro-Design Pro Flow With K&N
3. PCIII USB

Quad 2
1. White Brothers Aluminum ProII Exhaust
2. Pro-Design Pro Flow With K&N
3. PCIII USB

i think most will agree that the preferred EFI controller would be the PCIII, but if you were to ask the question which is the better exhaust or which is the better airfilter.. you will be opening up a can of worms.. so you might want to steer clear from those.. it's really just based on preference, word of mouth and getting to see these items first hand... that's how i based my mods.. if you were to ask what to get first then that will depend on your budget.. i would suggest the PCIII right off the bat since these quads a running lean from the dealer.. and then work your way through your mods according to your budget.. hope this helps.. :)

#4 ·
Sounds about right. :thumbsup: Enjoy your new toy.

#6 ·
Ah, thanks guys. For some reason in my mind I guess I was thinking the 3 basic mods were basically "free mods". Kinda like the Z400 forum: 1. Remove airbox lid 2. Punchout exhaust endcap 3. Rejet.

I'm sure the 1st thing we'll want to do (after buying paddles) is uncork the airbox & exhaust one way or another. When I had my DS650 a company made a sweet endcap for the stock exhaust that coupled with a K&N and a simple rejet made a HUGE difference for very little money. Anything like that for the rappy?

The worst thing I hate is buying these new bikes and feeling how freakin' detuned and plugged up they are stock.

I gotta get smart on this FI stuff. Right now I don't understand a lick about these control boxes, which ones do what etc. I guess I thought that with FI the bike's system figured out the atmospheric condition as well as airflow to adjust fuel delivery. Is the fuel delivery only "x" amount at "x" elevation no matter how much air is being delivered?

Thanks again guys.

#8 ·
well there is another way you can go about the 3 mods..

you can remove airbox lid..
you can remove the baffle from stock exhaust..
and you can do the equivalent of rejetting.. which is buying an EFI controller to take care of air/fuel ratio..

this is probably the cheapest way to go about the three mods.. where your only expense would be the controller.. and yes there will be a noticeable difference in performance..

MaxxRPM said:
How do these two pipes compare with one another and which one do you prefer?
i haven't installed the white brothers yet becuase the map is still not available for pcIII.. what i might do is borrow my friends Dobeck controller and use it for the time being just to try out the pipe.. the quad is running on stock exhaust with baffle removed.. and it's no comparison to the HMF quad..i'll post a comparison once i get the map or install dobeck

#11 ·
MaxxRPM said:
How do these two pipes compare with one another and which one do you prefer?
i haven't installed the white brothers yet becuase the map is still not available for pcIII.. what i might do is borrow my friends Dobeck controller and use it for the time being just to try out the pipe.. the quad is running on stock exhaust with baffle removed.. and it's no comparison to the HMF quad..i'll post a comparison once i get the map or install dobeck
[/quote]

tell us what you think about the two when you get both up and running. I was realy close to buying the WB aluminum pro. Got high marks in the mag shootout and I ran the carbon pro II on my yfz and it kicked some real ass. I went threw exhausts like underwear on the yfz....preferred that WB over anything else I ran.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.