Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temperature meter is OK (I think), and the rev meter is very inconstant at idle, but that seems to be a common problem... :(

HOWEVER, my biggest problem now is that the speedometer is not working properly! :mad: Sometimes is stays at ZERO km/h when riding, other times the speed is too low! The speedometer is accurate less than 50% of the time!
My guess is that the wheel sensor is not sensing all the wheel revolutions. That would explain the low speed on the display (or zero speed). If it does not detect all the revolutions, it probably thinks that I am going slower.

What could be wrong? Any suggestions? Is there anything I can check on the installation? :eek:

Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would double check your clearance between the magnet and pickup, maybe the gap is too large?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think I only have 1/8" clearance in mine. Moving the quad in neutral will cause the Vapor display to light up. If the magnetic bolt is "parked" across from the sensor the Vapor won't shut down. That's how sensitive it is. My MPH is right on.
I take it your odometer is way off too then?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, actually I have noticed that when I move it in neutral, it does indeed light up, but it stays at zero km/h. The odometer is WAY off. Sometimes it stays at zero even on the road (yes, quads are street legal here in Portugal :thumbsup: ). But usually it oscillates between the right speed (at least it seems to be right), excessively low speed, and zero, every few seconds. That is why I think the computer is sensing some revolutions, sometimes all (when it shows the correct speed), and sometimes none (zero). I am an ignorant regarding electrical and mechanical stuff, but I think it makes sense.
Maybe the sensor is too far away, or something is blocking it. Is there any way to chek that without taking out the wheel?
Or maybe there is a bad electrical connection, or :help: a problem in the computer! I just wanted to try out some ideas from you guys, before having to take it to the guy who installed it (he already looked at it before, and he said it was fine :mad: )!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I remember from installing mine that it would be pretty hard not to have thing lined up properly and I had to put a slight bend in the "C" bracket that holds the sensor just to gain some clearance. To be honest, I don't see how it could register some of the time, but not all of the time unless the wiring or computer were messed up somehow. How about your wheel size? Did the installer enter that corectly into the computer? Entering a wrong size would have it read incorrectly, but not entering anything might cause it to jump around. I really don't know, after all, it is a Vapor ::)

Hey, he DID drill a hole in the black plastic piece.... right? I don't think my instructions mentioned you had to do this, but obviously you do so the sensor can see the magnetic bolt. It may be getting an iffy reading if it has to sense through that plastic piece. And yes, if you get down and look around you should be able to see the sensor. It's how I found out mine was lined up when the Vapor wouldn't shut off. Follow the cable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, thanks for helping me out! :thumbsup:

I just had a look at the installation, and I've noticed a few things:

First, the sensor and the magnet are directly in front of each other. Is that how it's supposed to be? That may sound like a silly question, but the installation instructions say: "do not place the sensor or the magnet so that the magnet passes the middle section of the sensor. 1 of 2 things may occur: either the sensor will not register at all; or the sensor will register twice, causing a double trigger effect..."

Second, the clearance between the sensor and the magnet is very small, less than 1 mm (1/25 th inch, I believe).

Third, the magnet seems to be screwed too tight (the magnet housing shows a little damage).

Fourth, the plastic shield sometimes moves and partially covers the sensor (but only very slightly).

I don't think the wheel size is wrong, because if it were, the speed would be constantly and predictably wrong (always higher or always lower), not up and down.

Whew! That's a lot! Maybe this was a sloppy installation? what do you guys think is to blame?

·
Registered
610 Posts
"" "do not place the sensor or the magnet so that the magnet passes the middle section of the sensor. 1 of 2 things may occur: either the sensor will not register at all; or the sensor will register twice, causing a double trigger effect..." ""

Interesting. I don't think my instructions said that, but then TT told me I had an old booklet. Maybe if it did I just didn't read that part. Like I said before, at least on my setup the two items (sensor and magnet) can only go in one spot. It's not like anything is slotted for adjustment.

I know the plastic piece on mine can't move, but then I sandwiched it against the C bracket with the jam nut on the sensor. It seemed like the thing to do at the time. That could certainly be your problem if it is blocking the sensor reading sometimes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.