Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I purchased a rappy for a cool grand and got it back to where it needs to be.....or so I thought. It wouldnt start (battery, solenoid burnt up). got new solenoid, and picked up the exact battery from good ol' Walmart that was in it An EVERSTART 14LA-2 (Neverstart). Initialized it correctly and got a few turns of the motor but nothing to start the bike. figured it just wasnt done initializing so threw it on the charger once again.

After about 6 hours of 2amp charging for the correct time stated on the battery. It turns over the bike once. rode it up the street and back runs amazing no spit no sputter.....awesome right? Nope turn it off and wont start WTF:eek:! volt meter shows 12.6 on the battery but a voltage drop to close to 6.4ish when the starter button is pushed. Now thats one hell of a voltage drop and deff not enough to start the unit.

So I take it to work (Honda stealership.) and use the charger at work to initialize the battery once again. It showed good recharge. So I did.

Bring it home and hook it up volt meter showed 13.2-6v after charging. Go to start it up and it spins the bike over 4 to 5 rolls and starts to die off. I checked the voltage drop and once again im at 6ish volts when the button is pushed. WTF!!!!!! Help! Does the raptor starter really take that much voltage and amps to roll the starter?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok so I purchased a rappy for a cool grand and got it back to where it needs to be.....or so I thought. It wouldnt start (battery, solenoid burnt up). got new solenoid, and picked up the exact battery from good ol' Walmart that was in it An EVERSTART 14LA-2 (Neverstart). Initialized it correctly and got a few turns of the motor but nothing to start the bike. figured it just wasnt done initializing so threw it on the charger once again.

After about 6 hours of 2amp charging for the correct time stated on the battery. It turns over the bike once. rode it up the street and back runs amazing no spit no sputter.....awesome right? Nope turn it off and wont start WTF:eek:! volt meter shows 12.6 on the battery but a voltage drop to close to 6.4ish when the starter button is pushed. Now thats one hell of a voltage drop and deff not enough to start the unit.

So I take it to work (Honda stealership.) and use the charger at work to initialize the battery once again. It showed good recharge. So I did.

Bring it home and hook it up volt meter showed 13.2-6v after charging. Go to start it up and it spins the bike over 4 to 5 rolls and starts to die off. I checked the voltage drop and once again im at 6ish volts when the button is pushed. WTF!!!!!! Help! Does the raptor starter really take that much voltage and amps to roll the starter?
How stock is the engine, and maybe you need heavier wiring............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well stock as can be as far as I know. Nothing out of the ordinary.... Looks all original. but the starter does have one hell of a time rolling over on this battery that was hot as could be at a safe charge.

·
Master of the Electron
15,679 Posts
Does it just turn over slowly, or does it speed up then catch, speed up then catch, etc.? If the latter, could be the cam timing has jumped one tooth.

Also, was it a dry battery that you added the acid to, or was acid already in the cells? If the latter, the battery could just be DOA - sat too long at Wally's.

Try starting with jumpers to an auto battery - everything good now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Does it just turn over slowly, or does it speed up then catch, speed up then catch, etc.? If the latter, could be the cam timing has jumped one tooth.

Also, was it a dry battery that you added the acid to, or was acid already in the cells? If the latter, the battery could just be DOA - sat too long at Wally's.

Try starting with jumpers to an auto battery - everything good now?
No it turns over fine for about 4 rolls. but of course its not enough voltage in the battery to roll it over long enough to start it. I asked another tech at work. Said to try and pull the spark plug and roll it over. It will roll its little heart over. Lol and sounds fine. of course it sounds like it doesnt have the plug in it.

I was thinking that the valves may need to be adjusted.

but the tech at work thinks that the starter is pulling too many amps due to some burnt out brushes in the starter or something.

And to answer your question the battery is a wet cell batt. and had to be added to a dry battery case and be initialized by charging it to full potential.

And the battery cables thing works for a few turns and it will finally start the unit but only with the car running it pulls too hard on the car battery and wont roll it over with it off. Lol this in turn makes me go back to the valves being too tight. But the decompressor is working right and releasing the compression correctly so im all over the board with this one!!!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Im just gonna guess and say its your starter. If it was the the valves being to tight it would still turn over good, even better than it should if its so tight its holding the valves open on compression stroke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.