Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My flag pole broke so I need to cut it again to make it smooth as the pole splintered. I tried putting tape on it and cutting it with a metal(fine ) sawzaw blade but it just spintered again. How would I cut the pole so it doesnt splinter It only broke because I had just put the flag on and was a first time flag user and when I got stuck I went to put my foot on the back bar and karate chopped the pole off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
stonny9 said:
My flag pole broke so I need to cut it again to make it smooth as the pole splintered. I tried putting tape on it and cutting it with a metal(fine ) sawzaw blade but it just spintered again. How would I cut the pole so it doesnt splinter It only broke because I had just put the flag on and was a first time flag user and when I got stuck I went to put my foot on the back bar and karate chopped the pole off.
Hmmm.... your kinda screwed!!! I have never been able to re-cut one after it broke, I always just worked it back in. Have you tried to grind it down?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,804 Posts
maybe try a hack saw with the tape. it might help to go with a slow cutting method. but then again i have never cut a flag pole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
I can't believe this is such a problem. I cut flags nearly every weekend and I use a cheap hacksaw from Wal-Mart and never have a splintering problem. I know what you are thinking....I am not cutting my flag every weekend, I just happen to be the guy with the tools. Maybe you just have a cheap flag. Tell you what box it up, mail it to me, and for a mere $29.99 plus shipping I will make sure it is cut nice and neat. :grin_nod:

Craig,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Use a utility knife with new blade, spin flagpole while gently cutting deeper each time around. Poly pipe cutters(for plumbing) work the best if they are available, just remember to spin the flagpole so it cleanly cuts through surface(where it splinters) of pole :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Ditch the cheap stick and get a spring and cb whip antenna-looking flag pole. They cost more but don't shrink an inch after every ride and have a neat built in feature: it will tap you on the back of the helmet to let you know when you're being too stupid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Headrope said:
Ditch the cheap stick and get a spring and cb whip antenna-looking flag pole. They cost more but don't shrink an inch after every ride and have a neat built in feature: it will tap you on the back of the helmet to let you know when you're being too stupid.
The whole thing with the springs is that if you do the trails or tree shoots at the dunes, its more than tappin you on the head, its crackin you on the back of the helmet every 2 seconds!!! I cant stand them!!!! :sniper:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
roc64 said:
Headrope said:
Ditch the cheap stick and get a spring and cb whip antenna-looking flag pole. They cost more but don't shrink an inch after every ride and have a neat built in feature: it will tap you on the back of the helmet to let you know when you're being too stupid.
The whole thing with the springs is that if you do the trails or tree shoots at the dunes, its more than tappin you on the head, its crackin you on the back of the helmet every 2 seconds!!! I cant stand them!!!! :sniper:
Then you are being too stupid - a lot. ;)
To each his/her own. Where I've ridden there was maybe one or two trees at the dunes that actually had branches left low enough to clip a flag.
I'd rather pay once for a flag pole and know it will always be of legal height than risk a trip being ruined because I trimmed the flag stick one too many times and someone didn't see me coming up the other side. Kind of a I-spent-thousands-on-the-quad-so-why-skimp-on-simple-things-like-a-flag-pole-type thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
Headrope said:
roc64 said:
Headrope said:
Ditch the cheap stick and get a spring and cb whip antenna-looking flag pole. They cost more but don't shrink an inch after every ride and have a neat built in feature: it will tap you on the back of the helmet to let you know when you're being too stupid.
The whole thing with the springs is that if you do the trails or tree shoots at the dunes, its more than tappin you on the head, its crackin you on the back of the helmet every 2 seconds!!! I cant stand them!!!! :sniper:
Then you are being too stupid - a lot. ;)
To each his/her own. Where I've ridden there was maybe one or two trees at the dunes that actually had branches left low enough to clip a flag.
I'd rather pay once for a flag pole and know it will always be of legal height than risk a trip being ruined because I trimmed the flag stick one too many times and someone didn't see me coming up the other side. Kind of a I-spent-thousands-on-the-quad-so-why-skimp-on-simple-things-like-a-flag-pole-type thing.
Well your probably right about your first comment! But as far as branch's low enough... well we are obviously riding in different areas! :thumbsup:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top