Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 2004 raptor 660 a week ago, and the first time out we ripped some of the welds on the frame at the front strut brackets. We were riding trails with some small jumps, he didn't wreck or anything, just noticed somthing weird in the steering.

Anyways, I need it fixed. I am looking for a frame right now, and we are going to get new suspension, the previous owner lowered it and I think the shocks are shot. Hardly any travel and very very stiff.

We will be mainly trail riding it with some jumping. I would like to get the +1 a-arms with the new struts. It has ITP wheels, fmf pipe/header, and k&n filter.

I have about a $800 to spend on suspension. Plus the frame. Any input/sugestions would be great.

note- It seems as if the previous owner changed the mounting brackets on the struts and the welds seem to be a very bad weak point.. I looked at my friends 450 and his strut mounts "T'd" the frame, making a much stronger looking strut mount. Do I need new brackets also?? I want this thing fixed right so it will never happen again. tHanks Tyler

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
You can buy a new frame, but it may be cheaper to fix what you've got. I had one of my front shock tower mounts break away from the frame and opted to fix it. They're a weak spot alright, and regardless of whether you weld or replace it sounds like you should gusset or reinforce that area.

Figure 400-600 for a-arms, which will leave you just enough money to buy a set of used stock yfz or used aftermarket raptor shocks. There are lots of great choices, I'm sure you'll have some others chime in. I've got ASR and they work just fine.

The raptors and almost all sport quads used shocks, not struts. There are airshocks availible though.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
This is always what happens when you jump with a lowering kit. You would have been fine if it was not there.

If you get a new frame just keep the lowering blocks off and you shouldn't need to gusset, but if you do the front shock mounts are a good place to start.

·
Registered
211 Posts
maddog is right ,cheapest route is to get rid of the dura blue lowering kit gusset and put new tubing around upper shock mounts and will need to weld around all areas of the shock mounts ,factory does not weld these very strong at all once welded remount shock to shock mount not lowering kit this will give you more clearence to trail ride ,using mig or tig would be best scince arc is not as clean and leaves weak spots

1 - 6 of 6 Posts