Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 05 660 the drive sprocket wore down so I replaced it with a new 14 tooth. After assembling it back together I jumped on to take a ride and it seemes to go in gear but the drive sproket does not move. Before I changed the sprocket it was driving fine. Any ideas.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
1st, welcome to the forum.

2nd, did you check the splines on the output shaft? Usually, the sprocket's splines would wear, but the shaft has been known to lose its splines too... also, are you sure it was the correct sprocket? It should have fit nicely over the shaft's splines and engaged well with them.

Does the retainer nut and shaft turn but not the sprocket?

I expect it was just installed incorrectly, but you need to inspect a bit more to determine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all of the splines were fine both sproket and shaft. Nothing turns while the chain is on. I did remove the sproket and chain and stuck it in gear and throttled up and it turned then. Could I have over torked the nut and pulled the drive gears apart. Thanks for the helping

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Then the only possibility is transmission or clutch issues... Let's hope clutch.

Did you torque the nut with the chain on, using the rear wheel to hold the sprocket fixed, or did you use the tranny (with no chain) to hold it while torquing? If the latter, how did the output shaft stay fixed then, but now it's free-wheeling?

Has ANYTHING happened in between (did you ride it at all, and then this happend, for instance), or did this symptom show itself immediately after installing the new sprocket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Immediately after I installed the sprocket. I'm not sure which way I installed the nut but I can say after looking into this further if you put it in reverse it bogs the motor way down and give it gas and it starts back firing. I'm starting to loose my nerve I've put many sprockets on and have never seen anything like this before. It ran fine but the front sprocket was just worn.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
How long have you had this quad? There is a reverse RPM limiter that, when in reverse, prevents the engine from running much above idle - it will sputter and backfire occasionally... The reverse switch is right in front of the sprocket. Many ppl ground the wire to the switch to eliminate this limiter. If this was grounded, you may have inadvertently removed the ground connection while replacing the sprocket.

Maybe I should be asking you to define your 'it does not move' original statement... is it sputtering/backfiring in all gears now and THAT is what's preventing it from moving? In that case, you simply unplugged the reverse switch connector (green/white wire with right angle push on plug) when you changed the sprocket. Plug it back onto the switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say going on 3 months now. No the switch is not the reason. It only backfires in reverse. I removed the sprocket once again shifted into first gear and you can not turn drive line with your hand. I left it in first after I tried this and added the sprocket and chain and once again it free rold without catching any. I also adjusted the clutch cable both ways and nothing. When the sprocket is removed the drive line will turn when you rev the motor. Im starting to lean more towards the clutch but still cant understand what happened everything was fine until I installed the new sprocket.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Slipping and not being able to turn with your hand can co-exist... try turning it (without the chain) with a wrench instead. If it is slipping, but still has some friction, you won't be able to generate enough torque with your hand - a wrench is needed.

If it's slipping with the wrench turning, I'd first look at the clutch - it could be a coincidence that it has worn out. Yes, usually a new symptom, just after changing something, is usually caused by the change... but there just isn't much you can do while replacing the sprocket to cause this slip UNLESS you broke the output shaft.

With that in mind, did you use a torque wrench to properly tighten the nut or did you use an impact wrench?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts