Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as im in the process of rebuilding my gfs 660( this things taking forever)
But im dropping a tooth on the front sprocket
As we went to replace the sprocket the bike is in gear but once we got a wrench on it and tryed to loosen the nut .. well the sprocket still spins n makes a noise

Plz help on how to get the front sprocket off

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well as im in the process of rebuilding my gfs 660( this things taking forever)
But im dropping a tooth on the front sprocket
As we went to replace the sprocket the bike is in gear but once we got a wrench on it and tryed to loosen the nut .. well the sprocket still spins n makes a noise

Plz help on how to get the front sprocket off
Did you look it up in the service manual on how to take it off?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i didnt because i dont have one
Thats y i was looking for your guys help

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
Manual can be downloaded from the sticky in the maintenance section.

Most leave the chain on and try use the brakes or a wedge or put the engine in gear when trying to loosen the nut. I'm a little weary of the putting it in gear idea because of the possibility of damage to the shift forks though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I use a chain wrench to hold sprockets in place. Its not really a good idea to use the transmission/engine to hold the sprocket because you can chip teeth off gears or cause other damage in the engine.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
With the chain on, put the tranny in neutral and put a lock through the rear sprocket. Also put a old rag between the lock and chain. This will keep it from spinning. Then impact the front sprocket off. Make sure the tabs on the front one is bent down too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Manual can be downloaded from the sticky in the maintenance section.

Most leave the chain on and try use the brakes or a wedge or put the engine in gear when trying to loosen the nut. I'm a little weary of the putting it in gear idea because of the possibility of damage to the shift forks though.
there is no load on the shift fork with it in gear,.

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
Heck I would have thought you could have found a more recent example of me being an idiot than to dig up a 2 month old thread :lol: ;)

I misspoke, obviously I meant to say I was concerned about the force being applied to the wheel and pinion gears themselves. The torque going on isn't what concerns me, that's only around 50 or 60 ft pounds, but rather the tq required to remove the sprocket. I'd prefer to rely first on keeping the chain on and having someone else holding the rear brake and perhaps even sitting on the machine while you do it.

·
Master of the Electron
15,408 Posts
It's not the average torque output from an impact wrench that is the concern - it's the impulse, which, for a very short period, can generate extremely high forces on the gear train when using it to hold the output shaft tight... the forces can be high enough to shear gear teeth, depending upon the impact wrench used.

So, IMO, do as suggested and use the chain to a locked rear sprocket to hold the output sprocket when using an impact wrench either for removal or tightening of the shaft nut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts