Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some guidance on getting my Raptor running great again. I bought it new in 06 and it is completely stock. I took it out riding about a dozen times the first year I owned it but my wife joined the military in 07 so we started moving around the country and I haven't ridden it since. I tried to start it a couple of times a month at the beginning but it just sorta got forgotten in the garage.

We just moved again and I decided it is time to get it running good again and either use it or sell it. I put fresh gas in it, cleaned the jets in the carb, and changed the spark plug. The jets were partially clogged and the quad starts up now but runs poorly. It misses at idle and usually dies. Opening the throttle will sometimes cause a backfire and will usually make it just die.

Where should I start to try to solve my problem? I have quite a bit of mechanical skills but they are car oriented and I have little experience with small engines such as this one. Thanks in advance!

Here is a video of a cold start up, no choke and the second video is me restarting it right after.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had experience with machines that sit a while. The main thing is the carbs, but you have already cleaned your carb. Usually when one of my machines is running rough it runs normal after a while of riding it. If that doesn't work try changing the oil , new gas(depending on how long it has been sitting).
Hope this helps

·
Registered
61 Posts
I put fresh gas in it
Did you empty out any old gas that was still in there? Or did you just add fresh gas to the old stuff? If you just added to the old stuff you should empty it out completely and add some new premium. You could also try adding a little bottle of "start your engines" fuel additive and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I should have clarified that. I drained the old fuel prior to my last move. I put in a gallon of fresh fuel last week.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Sorry, I should have clarified that. I drained the old fuel prior to my last move. I put in a gallon of fresh fuel last week.
I would go back into the carb and clean it again, be very thorough with your cleaning, I've seen this lots where you think you have the carb clean and it isn't quite clean, these jets are so small, a thousands of an inch of crude can cause major problems...............:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had to clean my carb earlier this year and we blasted each part with brake cleaner to make sure we got out all the little stuff with some pressure. Then blew it out again with the compressor. It started right up after that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I will pull the carb back off tomorrow. When I cleaned the jets before, I just pulled them out, sprayed them with carb cleaner and ran a strand of wire through them until I could see light in a nice round pattern through it. I sprayed the carb cleaner into the holes where the jets mount and saw it spray out of various places in the carb. Is that good enough or should I completely take everything apart and soak it in something? If so, is there any threads or videos specific to this carb so I don't screw it up?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I took mine apart completely just to be sure there wasn't gunk stuck in a little orifice or something.

*I attached a diagram of the carb exploded so you have something to go off of.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Clean the carbs again, like Willykiller said...be very thorough, clean every little piece...& run a strand of copper wire threw every hole....Also check your limmiters...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts