Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I rev the engine, as I approach approximately 4000 RPM (from the Trailtech Vapor), there is a very loud, high-pitched rattling noise, which I believe is coming from the engine! If I am running over or under 4000 RPM, it disappears. But whenever I approach 4000 RPM, it comes again! It is very loud, and I afraid of riding my bike like this! :( :( :(
The engine is stock, and the only thing I remember doing the day before was putting the bike vertical to mount a skip plate. Initially I thought it was because of a problem with the gears, but this happens even in neutral and even when the Raptor is stationary.

What could be happening? Maybe something to do with the cam? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Please help!!!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I know this sounds goofy but my 660 was doing something similiar and it ended up being a loose nut on the header heat shield. I tightened it up and it was perfect after that. 8)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sometimes my nerf bars rattle at higher revs, Its just where they knock against the frame of the bike. At first I thought it was the engine but on closer inspection I realised it was only the bars. You never know could be something simple like that,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the help, guys!

What I think is strange is the fact that the noise disappears a little above 4000 RPM. Did the same happen to you?

I will look at the heat shield first thing tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
sangue_e_Tripas said:
Thx for the help, guys!

What I think is strange is the fact that the noise disappears a little above 4000 RPM. Did the same happen to you?

I will look at the heat shield first thing tomorrow morning!
Mine would stop at a certian point too, probably was rattling so fast it stopped making noise. I know that doesnt make sense but it can happen.

·
Registered
118 Posts
on my 660 the skid plat and nerf bars rattled!! i used rubber hose line in places on my frame making it tighter and keeping it away from frame!! DROVE ME NUTS !!!!!! good luck man I feel ya!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Pull the skid plate off and see if that is it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Raptor_rpr said:
on my 660 the skid plat and nerf bars rattled!! i used rubber hose line in places on my frame making it tighter and keeping it away from frame!! DROVE ME NUTS !!!!!! good luck man I feel ya!!
My 700 does it to. I am going to isolate once I get time.  Drives, me nuts and people stare. lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Add me to the list............

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THANKS GUYS! PROBLEM SOLVED! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wootwoot: :wootwoot: :wootwoot:

It was the skid plate rattling against the frame! I put some rubber between the frame and the plate, and now the noise is gone! It was kinda scary, it seemed to be coming from the engine....

Anyway, problem solved! You guys rock! I love this forum! :metal: :metal: :metal:

·
Registered
91 Posts
My GYTR skid did that too. Drove me absolutely crazy! :eek:

Where we normally ride a skid plate is a must so taking it off wasn't a option. Pulled the plate and lined the outside edges with some self adhesive foam tape that is now between the frame and skid. Worked great and no more vibration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts