Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 2001 Raptor 660, it ran great in Las Vegas, but I am now in Ohio and it runs hot! very hot! The headers turn BRIGHT red within minutes of starting it. It wont idle, when I try and bring it down to idle RPM's, it just sputters and dies. I am guessing it is very lean? It has a K&N air filter and and full HMF exhust. I dont know if it has been jetted, any any other fab work done to the motor, where do I start? What jets should I be running? Help!! please!! I have trip planned for the first weekend in June! I cant go without my baby! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I'm not a jetting master but I know they will want to know if you have any airbox mods like holes in the box or lid, If you removed/modified the snorkel. This will make a difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The air box, has no lid. It has a K&N cone filter in the box, and a K&N box cover. looks like the same material as the cone filter itself.

·
Registered
587 Posts
First you should pull the carb and see what jets you have in there. If you have a 22.5 pilot and 140/145 mains, then your stock and they need to change.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
You might wanna look into getting a jet kit with some new needles. If you get the GYTR kit it will also have the 25 pilots you will need. But i'm sure QM or Willy will be on soon to give you some real help lol

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Since Las Vegas is at 2000 ft, it may have run a bit richer there... but I'd be surprised if it wasn't still very lean there - or did you add the mods later?

With your mods, you're going to need 25 pilots, around 160L/165R mains and aftermarket needles with clip just below center and fuel screws at around 2.5 turns out.

A Vitos kit would be ideal for you, as it comes with all the Mikuni mains you'll need, the 25 pilots, the necessary needles AND extended fuel screws so you can adjust with the carbs in place - a good value for $50.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am planning on taking the exhust and air box off, and going back to stock on both. Should I still go up to a 25 on the pilots? And what should I do with the mains?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
If you are returning to COMPLETELY stock on the exhaust, airbox and snorkle, then the jetting you have will suffice, although 25 pilots do improve things a bit - Yammy purposely went a bit too lean on these to meet emissions requirements.

Yes, that is the Vitos kit.

BTW, you will notice a significant loss of power if you return to stock exhaust and airbox. So, keep in mind my jetting suggestions if you do decide to stay with the mods - if you like the power, you'll miss it when back at stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, thanks QM! I will try the kit and see where it gets me. If all else fails, back to stock it will be. Who ever had this quad before I would say didnt know what they were doing seeing as how they added a lot more air with the air box and new exhust but yet left the jets at stock. Thanks again! I'll keep you posted to let you know how the kit worked out for me!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
ok, thanks QM! I will try the kit and see where it gets me. If all else fails, back to stock it will be. Who ever had this quad before I would say didnt know what they were doing seeing as how they added a lot more air with the air box and new exhust but yet left the jets at stock. Thanks again! I'll keep you posted to let you know how the kit worked out for me!
If you keep the lid off, use 160 and 165 mains, aftermarket needles and #25 pilots...........

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
THey have a more agressive taper, allowing more fuel, more quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok cool, I ordered the Vitos' kit you suggested, so when it shows up ill throw it in and see where it lands me. Hopefully this will cure my problem. After all is said and done, should the headers still be glowing?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
It is common to see the first couple of inches of header glowing a dull red when viewed in the dark only... if much more than a few inches, or if visible in light, it's still likely too lean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts