Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my oil last week and this was my first good run since. I checked the oil level after the bike cooled down and the level was almost a quarter inch over the fill line. How can bad this hurt my engine? What should I do? Drain a little, or completely re-change my oil? Since this was the only hard run yet will it be okay?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: how bad can it hurt the if......?

I would drain a little. I once rode almost all day duning at about a half quart over before i checked. scared the crap out of me but didn't seem to hurt anything, that was over a year ago :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx, I hear ya about being scared. I don't need another expense to fix it right now. Not to mention the down time.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Your quad should be fine, but I would drain a little. If it reads 1/4" high when it's cold. If you run with too much oil it could cause a leak.

The Raptor has a dry sump oiling system. Oil changes have confused a lot of people. When you do an oil change drain the tank, and the crankcase.

Add two quarts. Nothing more and nothing less. When checking the oil make sure the quad has sat unfired for at least 10 minutes.

Follow the manual and you will do fine. Some prefer to add one quart to the oil tank and one to the crankcase. This is fine too.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I drained both and changed the filter and put 2 quarts in still ended up 1/4 inch high. Hmmm.... What could I have done wrong?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
DrDsRaptor said:
Yeah I drained both and changed the filter and put 2 quarts in still ended up 1/4 inch high. Hmmm.... What could I have done wrong?
Possibly the old stuff didnt drain completely?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Teraflx said:
DrDsRaptor said:
Possibly the old stuff didnt drain completely?
Make sure you run it long enough to completely heat the oil before draining it. If you live in a cold climate, it won't all drain out if left cold.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I don't think I let it get too warm. That must be it. Thx all

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you ride the quad for 10 minutes and then drain the oil, you will be fine.
If I read the ouners manual right, it says get the oil 141* :3question:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts