Raptor Forum banner

HELP....ideas?

2K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  jlites3 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

I just changed the oil on my 05' 660 for the first time (still haven't riden the beast, had some parts I was waiting on).

So I warmed the block up with some heaters and drained the oil.. Found it was grayish/green and milky. I drained it as best as I could. I then filled the oil tank up with 10w-30 (recommended by Yamaha service shop) and ran it for 5 minutes or so.

I shut it off and drained the newer oil and again found it to came out like the original oil I drained first, grayish milky like. I decided to then change the oil again + filter

SOoo after new oil and filter changed I went to retire it up and now NOThiNG. The battery clicks but nothing at all. I pull in the clutch and hit the ignition button but starter just doesn't trigger now.

When I rAn the quad between oil changes it ran fine with no odd noises or nothing...also tried rolling down hill and kicking up to 2nd with no success

Please any advise to check things is greatly appreciated. Thx

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey guys

I just changed the oil on my 05' 660 for the first time (still haven't riden the beast, had some parts I was waiting on).

So I warmed the block up with some heaters and drained the oil.. Found it was grayish/green and milky. I drained it as best as I could. I then filled the oil tank up with 10w-30 (recommended by Yamaha service shop) and ran it for 5 minutes or so.

I shut it off and drained the newer oil and again found it to came out like the original oil I drained first, grayish milky like. I decided to then change the oil again + filter

SOoo after new oil and filter changed I went to retire it up and now NOThiNG. The battery clicks but nothing at all. I pull in the clutch and hit the ignition button but starter just doesn't trigger now.

When I rAn the quad between oil changes it ran fine with no odd noises or nothing...also tried rolling down hill and kicking up to 2nd with no success

Please any advise to check things is greatly appreciated. Thx
Check the battery connections.............
Does the engine turn over when you short out the two large terminals on the solenoid............

#3 ·
Not sure how to short out two large terminals.

I just get clicking from battery. Going to check some multiple wires another member mention while assisting a member last year. Here is his convo which sounds like my problem, I may have unplug something while putting plastics back on...

"The temp light gets power from the run/stop (kill) switch... as I said before, if the temp light comes on when the start button is pushed, the run/stop, and for that matter, ALL switches are working correctly. It is NOT a switch issue (hear this, Jesse?).

Again, do you hear a CLICK from under the seat when you push the start button? Does your reverse light work properly?

Answers to these two questions will allow me to tell you where to look next, period.

I'm going to guess (and this IS just a guess, so don't hold me to it) that your reverse light does work and you hear no click when you press the start button - and the 3 wire connector (red, yellow/black and blue/black wires) that plugs into the top of the starter solenoid under the seat has popped loose... with luck this will be it. Without luck, it's just one of two or three other simple things. Let me know what you find.

Let me add one more question - does your neutral light work properly (now with bike not able to start)?
"

He is dancing around my issue I believe

#6 ·
Willy I don't want to sound dumb, but to sound dumb how do I short out the two large terminals to the solenoid?

I just reconnected everything as it was when I ran it flushing the oil after I re-installed the plastics.

I checked the powered commander box with 3 harnessess and they seemed to be connected.

The 20amp fuses seemed to look ok.

When I hit the ignition with clutch in, the red oil/temp like flickers and the red reverse flickers.

You think the solenoid would prevent it from being jump started?

#8 ·
Willy I don't want to sound dumb, but to sound dumb how do I short out the two large terminals to the solenoid?

I just reconnected everything as it was when I ran it flushing the oil after I re-installed the plastics.

I checked the powered commander box with 3 harnessess and they seemed to be connected.

The 20amp fuses seemed to look ok.

When I hit the ignition with clutch in, the red oil/temp like flickers and the red reverse flickers.

You think the solenoid would prevent it from being jump started?
Take a screw driver and short the two poles together, to see if the engine turns over, get a good contact between the two of them............

#9 ·
I assume you mean the CDI (ignition) with the 3 plugs. A power commander is an aftermarket fuel controller for fuel injected machines.

To short out two terminals I would use a big screwdriver.

Have you tried putting it in neutral first before trying to start it?

#10 ·
I assume you mean the CDI (ignition) with the 3 plugs. A power commander is an aftermarket fuel controller for fuel injected machines.

To short out two terminals I would use a big screwdriver.

Have you tried putting it in neutral first before trying to start it?

Not talking of any 3 plugger here, just the two contacts on the start solenoid that I was referring too.............

#15 ·
Nothing. Just get sparks at the starter solenoid...

When I shut the machine off earlier prior to draining the oil all I did was turn the key off. Could have it been in a cycle and is locked or do you think i am looking at a major issue here?
Is the bike in neutral.................

#21 ·
Willy I took plus out and shorted the solenoid. Only got spark at solenoid and could here little crackling at plug/coil, not a sound or movement from starter or motor....

I took the cover where starter engages (4bolt cover) off and found the starter does spin free...just an additional FYI.

About to give up and bring to a local shop but hate to pay big labor rate for something small I could be overlooking.

Again, doesn't make sense it ran fine, shut it down to change flush oil, reconnected everything and now just getting clicking from solenoid relay.

Can a relay be bad and still give off the clicking noise or if it's shot not make any noise?

#23 ·
From your first post, it sounded like you had water in your oil.
When you did start it, was there white smoke coming out the exhaust?
You may have a blown head gasket.

As Willykiller & MD have said, you should be able to get the motor to turn over without the spark plug in.

If you can't get the starter motor to drive it, there could be a couple of issues:
1/ Flat battery
2/ Faulty Solenoid or connections
3/ Faulty Starter or connections

Try this
With the spark plug removed, put it in 2nd gear & see if you can push the quad forwards.
Is the motor turning over (you should be able to hear & feel the gas being forced out the spark plug hole & hear it all going round & round in there). Is the force required to push the quad consistent, or does it seem to have a very tight point?
This does 2 things
1/ It proves that mechanically there is nothing binding, unless you hit a tight point.
2/ If the head-gasket is blown, there may be water in the motor, this will help to pump it out

If there is a tight point, then this may point to some mechanical damage in the motor.
Probably time to remove carbs & exhaust & look to see that there is not a broken valve. The next step is to remove valve rocker covers & check that the cam is turning & rockers moving as you turn the motor over.
After that, bite the bullet & pull the head off.

The potential electrical issues become far more minor at this point..................

#24 ·
Thanks for taking time to chime in with that great description.

I hope there is not much to this repair as I did not intend to keep fixing and dumping money into, if that's the case I may just begin to part the machine out as its in good shape with some mods on it.

When I ran the oil flush sequence there was a little condensation like smoke at first but cleared up and ran smooth for 3-4 minutes. No knocking, shaking, etc... While it ran so I shut it down when warm to drain that oil.

After oil and filter change, turned key back on when ignition button is hit, red temp light (not reverse as I said before) lights up and solenoid clicks. Battery is fully charged and strong. Been trying Willys tips with no success. Temps outside are not making it pleasant so hoping to load it up and bring it to a heated garage with my uncle whose more experienced as he's built a few bada$$ banchees.

I thank all of you again and will update when I find the culprit, hopefully it's a minor single one like the relay and not a major overhaul.... If so may part out.

Bill

#25 ·
Short across the two large lugs on the relay - does the starter turn?

If it does and you just get click when pressing start button, starter relay is bad.

If starter does NOT turn when you short across the two large lugs you have a lot to check - battery, battery connection/cables, solenoid connection, starter cable/connection, starter itself (seized?), engine (seized?), ground cable... and probably a few more. Grab a voltmeter and follow along from battery to starter - see if you can find where 12V drops significantly, you'll probably find the culprit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.