Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well long time lurker, first time poster. Check it out, I have a mild modded 700 and i still get beat by mild modded (even big 3) LTR450 and YFZ450s... What do next without giving up reliability?
I have done to my Rappy
DMC Duals
Intake
PC3
Hotcam stage 2
I just ordered a 13t front sprocket, I have some tall rears for some more ground clearance for trail rides, so hopefully that helps. If i see an improvement i may play with rear sprocket.
Im a big dude, 6'3'' and 255lbs.

HELP ME BEAT MY LITTLE BROTHER!!! He just picked up an LTR and is already talking trash.

Vick

·
Registered
615 Posts
Are you just talking about beating them in a straight line? In my experience with the 450 stock or 3 mod on both it's a riders race, both seem to be about equal. With the cam you should be able to beat the big 3 450's but since your a pretty big guy if your racing much smaller guys that will have an affect too. What gear are you starting in? What surface are you racing on? IMO, a 13t front is too low since 1st gear is about useless on the 700 anyway. When you say mildly modded 450's what do you mean? Do they just have bolt ons or internal mods as well?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Fack man, I also have a modded LTR450 and they are fast little bastids, They are tough to catch on a track, They are light, low and built for the track.... I am faster in a straight line, But cant catch it on the track with my Son on it...!!! (BTW 13 yr old)

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Are you just talking about beating them in a straight line? In my experience with the 450 stock or 3 mod on both it's a riders race, both seem to be about equal. With the cam you should be able to beat the big 3 450's but since your a pretty big guy if your racing much smaller guys that will have an affect too. What gear are you starting in? What surface are you racing on? IMO, a 13t front is too low since 1st gear is about useless on the 700 anyway. When you say mildly modded 450's what do you mean? Do they just have bolt ons or internal mods as well?
+1 on gearing. If anything, I'd go up a tooth from factory in the front to a 15 tooth. Weight also has alot to do with it. You are a big guy on a big quad. They are more than likely smaller than you, and definately running lighter quads. The 15t sprocket alone would give you an overall top speed increase of 7%. Also, have you bypassed the rev limiter? If you can rev higher, you can go faster.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
If your referring to the blue wire mod, then it only retards the limiter in fifth gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much does he weigh?
hes about 190...

a 13t front is too low since 1st gear is about useless on the 700 anyway. When you say mildly modded 450's what do you mean? Do they just have bolt ons or internal mods as well?

Well I found out today the LTR has yoshi pipe, intake, and a P&P job. Like i said i run tall tires, 23" rears i believe, so i think it may help to get to speed faster which should be enough to get a lead on him. Im sure it will just be a "D%#& Showing contest" in a straight line down the hard pack road. possible pavement... I already promised him that if he can beat my in a drag, he will have to compete with a 778 kit. any other add ons you can think that would be a better idea before jumping in that deep?

·
Registered
323 Posts
alot of times you can beat a faster bike than yours,if it is ridden by a DEAD rider!! what i mean by this,is a guy that just sets in one place on his seat and shifts gears:( if i run someone on my rappy, im gonna throw my 253pounds to the back of the bike as far as i can,to the point were my front wheeles are barely on the ground!! this puts all the power to the ground and helps to get the bike hooking and building speed!! you can also try low tire pressure and taking off with less rpm to slow your wheelspeed down!! if your racing in the sand with paddles,,then throw all this that i just told you out the window!!lol8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alot of times you can beat a faster bike than yours,if it is ridden by a DEAD rider!! what i mean by this,is a guy that just sets in one place on his seat and shifts gears:( if i run someone on my rappy, im gonna throw my 253pounds to the back of the bike as far as i can,to the point were my front wheeles are barely on the ground!! this puts all the power to the ground and helps to get the bike hooking and building speed!! you can also try low tire pressure and taking off with less rpm to slow your wheelspeed down!! if your racing in the sand with paddles,,then throw all this that i just told you out the window!!lol8)
Lol yea i know what ya mean, this kid isnt a slouch though. He is one of those ride the hell out of anything with a motor kinds. Sponsored extreme snowmobiler... hes good. I may try the sabotage approach on the second or third run if i cant hang. shut his fuel off or something. lol

·
Registered
615 Posts
The next step I would do would be to get a P&P job on the head, while they are at it have the head clearanced for a better cam like the Webb 4 or HD5050, and a higher compression piston. Might even go ahead and put HD valve springs in that way if you decide you want to step up to a better cam than the hot cams you will have the head set up for it and and be able to install it without pulling the head off again. I was running a 12:1 piston, P&P head, X2 cam with the normal bolt ons and the only 450's that were staying with me in a straight line were ones that had big bore kits in them, I was putting out 68 - 69 at the rear tires with that. Find someone reputable to do the port and polish, a port and polish job is only as good as the guy that did it. There are several builders on here that are very good.

Even with the taller tires I still think you would be better off staying with the 14T front sprocket than the 13. I have a 13 and tried it and it was just to low.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Lol yea i know what ya mean, this kid isnt a slouch though. He is one of those ride the hell out of anything with a motor kinds. Sponsored extreme snowmobiler... hes good. I may try the sabotage approach on the second or third run if i cant hang. shut his fuel off or something. lol
If this is the guy with the LTR you won't be able to shut the fuel off, with it being fuel injected it doesn't have a shut off valve, you might just have to piss in his gas tank lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The next step I would do would be to get a P&P job on the head, while they are at it have the head clearanced for a better cam like the Webb 4 or HD5050, and a higher compression piston. Might even go ahead and put HD valve springs in that way if you decide you want to step up to a better cam than the hot cams you will have the head set up for it and and be able to install it without pulling the head off again. I was running a 12:1 piston, P&P head, X2 cam with the normal bolt ons and the only 450's that were staying with me in a straight line were ones that had big bore kits in them, I was putting out 68 - 69 at the rear tires with that. Find someone reputable to do the port and polish, a port and polish job is only as good as the guy that did it. There are several builders on here that are very good.

Even with the taller tires I still think you would be better off staying with the 14T front sprocket than the 13. I have a 13 and tried it and it was just to low.
Well I will figure out if the 13t is a good idea or not this weekend. But I like your idea of some head work and better cam... I have never had a P&P job, no idea what they cost... I would be fastest local quad for sure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i would definatly try the 13 tooth sprocket, i Put 21 in tires on my bike and could notice a huge differents. I don't really like it but i had to change the gearing just to be able to ride somwhat like i use to. now it just wants to hook instead of slide, and it wheelies in every gear ( which isn't a bad thing) but if i were to do it over again i would have just stuck with the 20 11 9 and delt with getting stuck in the mud a lil more.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If this is the guy with the LTR you won't be able to shut the fuel off, with it being fuel injected it doesn't have a shut off valve, you might just have to piss in his gas tank lol.
Nope, the LTR has one, Its got a regular fuel valve, On/Off/Reserve.. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well it also depends what distance your racing. if its 300 feed go 13 tooth if its any farther id go to a 15. i have the mods in my sig in my raptor and i tear up my stock kfx and my buddies piped yfz. the ltr is a hard compeditor because with a simple$40 cherry bomb the removal of the lid and baffle they sit right around 50hp which is damn impressive basically stock. if you can launch hard and keep your tires down i think ittl be a hell of a race deff let us know how it goes

·
Registered
615 Posts
Nope, the LTR has one, Its got a regular fuel valve, On/Off/Reserve.. :)
I just assumed it wouldn't have one because of the added fuel pressure. I have a buddy that has one but never looked that close. That is the first FI quad that I seen with one though lol. I know the can ams, yamahas, and polaris quads don't have one on their FI quads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just assumed it wouldn't have one because of the added fuel pressure. I have a buddy that has one but never looked that close. That is the first FI quad that I seen with one though lol. I know the can ams, yamahas, and polaris quads don't have one on their FI quads.
My 06 LTR did not have one.. Just a screw to shut the fuel off... Not sure if they put them on the later models but im pretty sure they dont have one either...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Maybe he's talking about the older ltrs. My buddy has a. 05 ltr 450 and it's carbed.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Maybe he's talking about the older ltrs. My buddy has a. 05 ltr 450 and it's carbed.
No, I was thinking the fuel injected ones did not have one but just assumed so, never looked closely at one. Most of the fuel injected quads I have messed with do not.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
This is me racing a 05 yfz450. I had a bad start, I'm 195lbs with the big 3. The yfz is stock and the rider is about 150 lbs. He caught up to me but then the rappy started walking away since it was a longer distance race. You should be able to get any 450 on a long haul but on a track or short race they will give you a run for your money if not take it. Since your bigger and running 23" tires I think the 13 tooth would be a big start. I'm getting a stock P&P, 11.5 cp piston, +3TB, and a HC3 cam. It's about 1100-1200 bucks. I would look at getting a dynatek fs that will give you a little more power and I should be in the low 60HP when I'm done. There was a trx which keeps trash talking that is in the video but he had his girl on the back so it took him out of the race.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts