Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my wife and I have 2 grizzly 700 that we used at the deercamp/ duck camp and also use to trail ride on in the summer and they both have a few mods and tires and whatnot... but my wife and I have always talked about me getting a fun bike to just rip and romp on during the summer months up in the mississippi delta. Something i can just flat out rip on down the fields... i have had a few dirtbikes but i was leaning more toward 4 wheels this time for a fun bike. I ride in the delta on field roads, gravel roads, dirt roads, some woods trails and hope to go on more rideing areas for more woods trails and hill climbs.

So i have looked at a few sport quads lately which were the Raptor 700r se, Honda 700xx, kfx 700, polaris 525 irs.

what would suit my riding areas better and style, I want to be able to slide this thing around the field edges to hit another straight away like nobodys business...!! hit some wheelies as i pull out of the turns..

would irs sport quad be better or the strait axle... all these bikes seem nice but why would the raptor be better for my choice??

i do see that the mods for the raptor are endless!

So thansk guys for the help !!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also on the raptor whats a good big 3 package for the bike? I looked at the hmf sompetition series with a uni filter and a hmf optimizer.. is that a good set up?? Also looked at the ehs exhaust and fuel contoller?

i will never do any internal motor mods so is a high dollar fuel programmer really needed ? or will something like the optimizer fine?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Try to slide the 700XX and then when you get out of the hospital let me know how it went sorry but irs for what your saying your going to ride for trails and flat out speeds in the fields nope rappy for sure. Now KFX 700 ya i thought about it because its automatic and all but man is it ever heavy, try to get it out of a mud hole OMG never mind that. Polaris sorry but i could go on and on about it being a very bad descision in my case and the track record they hold is not very good at all. I researched pretty much every sport quad out there for about two years before buying mine and am a very proud and satisfied owner. I will probably buy a new one in 10 years just to have something new again lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i just5 looked at a set of dmc afterburner dual on TQS. what filter choice do i go with ?

im new to this fi controller stuff so how do i work that thing. Is it plug and go ???

·
Registered
59 Posts
It plugs into your computer (laptop) where you can load a pre-set map or tweak if you want. Easiest rout would be to buy from a place that will pre-load the right map if you tell them what mods you have. (I think TQS will do this) Or you can get maps from Power Commander or look for someone on this forum with the same setup.

Also, I hear FCI is a good intake.

·
Registered
167 Posts
yes i just5 looked at a set of dmc afterburner dual on TQS. what filter choice do i go with ?

im new to this fi controller stuff so how do i work that thing. Is it plug and go ???
Afterburners are not a true dual and dont produce as much power as the Force 4's or Barkers. For the money you might as well get a real set of pipes that go down both sides of the motor or get a good single like the sparks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I didn't know that the Dmc afterburner wasn't true duals, I'll check out the f4s..

Also wanting to get front/rear bumper, nerfbars, full skids any suggestions on that?
Another thing is do y'all where any boots when riding if so what type.. I assume any motocross style will work?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Afterburners are a true dual, they just don't perform quite as well as the force 4's. IMO, if your just doing the big 3 and not going to go any farther a bobeck style fuel controller will work perfectly fine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Go for the raptor...700xx is a lot heavier as well!!!!

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Afterburners are NOT true duals they are are not equal length and true duals go on both sides of the motor none of that crossover crap. if you want more info check the dual ehaust sticky that steve from tqs made. The force 4's are definitely the better exhaust from dmc

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
A dual exhaust is a dual exhaust no matter if one is longer than the other. The only non true exhaust is the one for the raptor 250 or something like that where it's one header then it splits into 2. Dual means 2 so you have 2 pipes. So the afterburners are still a true dual exhaust. But go with a raptor 700 since it's the best all around quad out there.

·
Registered
615 Posts
A true dual system does not have to run down opposite sides and they do not have to be the same length. The term true dual came more from the automotive side because people were buying cat back dual systems and calling them duals when they really aren't because they come out from each exhaust manifold on V6 or V8, then into a Y pipe into a single inlet converter, then out the dual outlet for two pipes. The cross over you are probably referring to I have seen alot of debate on, that term does not refer to the pipe crossing over to one side or the other but what is commonly referred to as an X pipe where the seperate flows from the pipes cross paths or a single pipe that runs between the two exhaust pipes. They do this for added back pressure and to equalize the pressures in the exhaust system I think but not totally sure.

The afterburners are not as good as the force 4's, they are a little down on HP according to the charts I have seen but mostly on bikes with internals done, if I remember right they were pretty close to the other dual systems with just 3 mods but they are a true dual system, it has dual headpipes and when Steve stays they split he is not referring to the pipe itself, just the routing of the two headpipes.

If it was me between the two DMC's I would go with the force 4's because I don't like the routing of the afterburners.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Thats why I'm happy with my hmf single since I don't have to worry about the other pipe. Yes I know it dosn't make as much power but I need the tq more since I'm riding trails and I may not be able to win a race with a rappy with duals but I can still keep up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So does the dmc f4 help on the lowend torque. I guess since my application of riding is trails and fields then I guess I need a exhaust geared for that. Would the dmc f4 do fine for that. Or is there another exhaust that would be better for my riding?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
So does the dmc f4 help on the lowend torque. I guess since my application of riding is trails and fields then I guess I need a exhaust geared for that. Would the dmc f4 do fine for that. Or is there another exhaust that would be better for my riding?
There's plenty of tq with the force 4's i ride high speed trails and dunes and the force 4's carry the tq alot longer then say the afterbuner. You need low end tq @ the dunes and im always fighting the front end to stay down and im 240lbs

1 - 20 of 53 Posts