Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why are quads cheaper in the states?helpi want a quad why?

so for the last month or so for some reason i want a quad bike i guess if i wanted a nice/fast car the insurance is to expensive so i thought id get some sort of yamaha atv! im going to be honest, i am not to clued up about bikes there are so many benefits from having a quad compared to car; financially and stylistic i want a nice car but its just far to expensive and a quad is faster, a head turner and cheaper in every way,but from many hours of searching i have noticed something; how comes in a america the ATVS are almost half the price? 2nd hand bikes same year even from a yamaha dealership for the money im willing to spend on a quad here (2500-4000) i could get a 700/450/r in the states the main Yamaha dealers have new/newish quads on finance or not and they also throw in a go pro HD camera! is there any way you can help me contact a main Yamaha motor sports dealer from the states who can import bikes to do the same deal in the UK? i would pay all the money straight up would the insurance still not cover if it was from a main Yamaha dealer in the states? if there is any way you could help me or point me in the right direction . i just despise the thought of purchasing a quad from anywhere in the UK when i know in the states i could of got so much more for the same money its just playing in the back of my mind, thanks alot
Doug

p.s road legal ofcourse any help or reccomendations on anything i woulld apreciate sweeet bruva!
g bless

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We can all relate as far as the argument between a nice car and a new quad, lol. As far as why they are cheaper in the states than they are in Europe, that will be something for someone else to answer, but as far as a dealer that is going to give you the same deal on a bike and then import it over there, I guess I have to say I don't see the point, because you are more than likely going to end up paying as much or more in the end after the cost of getting it shipped over there. Best of luck to you in your search!

·
Registered
61 Posts
so for the last month or so for some reason i want a quad bike i guess if i wanted a nice/fast car the insurance is to expensive so i thought id get some sort of yamaha atv! im going to be honest, i am not to clued up about bikes there are so many benefits from having a quad compared to car; financially and stylistic i want a nice car but its just far to expensive and a quad is faster, a head turner and cheaper in every way,but from many hours of searching i have noticed something; how comes in a america the ATVS are almost half the price? 2nd hand bikes same year even from a yamaha dealership for the money im willing to spend on a quad here (2500-4000) i could get a 700/450/r in the states the main Yamaha dealers have new/newish quads on finance or not and they also throw in a go pro HD camera! is there any way you can help me contact a main Yamaha motor sports dealer from the states who can import bikes to do the same deal in the UK? i would pay all the money straight up would the insurance still not cover if it was from a main Yamaha dealer in the states? if there is any way you could help me or point me in the right direction . i just despise the thought of purchasing a quad from anywhere in the UK when i know in the states i could of got so much more for the same money its just playing in the back of my mind, thanks alot
Doug

p.s road legal ofcourse any help or reccomendations on anything i woulld apreciate sweeet bruva!
g bless
drives you nuts dont it, i think the same thing often thought of asking my mate in canada to send me one!! LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
honestly mate, it would be worth the shipping, a 700 yfm or 450 yzf uk £6000-£7000 new = 11000 dollars and that is a standard atv i want the R AND Special edition!:| ITS SO FRUSTRATING! i would even save money flying out there buying a quad cash from the yamaha hq in cali! driving it to the cargo ship and sailing home for the next month lool! im even thinking about doing that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha mate! get him to send me one aswell! i know what well do! i have just had a genius idea! lol and we will all be laughing and benefiting from this! lets get 10 petrol heads from the uk who are looking for an absoloute bargin and dont want to get knocked of money , lets all buy 10 in bulk wholesale directly from yamaha hq as a dealer! and we will all get our atv the cheapest way possible! we will even hustle the 10 go pro cameras! hahaTHAT IS THE way forward!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Heck, we have the same issue here in Canada to some extent. Can-AM for instance which was made in Canada until 2007 are about 20% cheaper across the border (30 min from where I live, mind you). The same applies to all other brands, but Can-AM being a Canadian company, it's really frustrating to see Americans buying our bikes for cheaper OTD than our dealers get them at cost here.

There's even talk about a government investigation on the issue, it's pretty apparent lots of companies are just profiting from this artificial price bloating. It's rampant in every product and service here in Canada, cars, TV, radios, cellphones, computers, games, furniture, etc. The Canadian dollar went from being worth 0.65 USD a few years ago to parity, and we didn't get any price drop at all, prices keep soaring.

All that said, lots of peeps here buy their bikes, cars, etc. from the US. There even are specialized companies doing just that. My uncle works for a car dealer and they buy millions worth of cars every couple of months from the US and make mad profit out of it.

There are a few issues you'll need to deal with:

1. US models are not street legal, so you'll need to deal with everything converting it as such implies.. Flashers, horn, tires, etc, I dunno what the laws are in the UK, but you'll need to add and change some stuff for sure. Of course, you can only get those things from the UK dealers most of the times at outrageous prices. Good luck with that.

2. You'll most likely need to pass some kind of inspection. Emissions might be problematic depending on your laws.

3. Warranty from US dealers is usually US-only... so you'll need to go there to get warranty work done. In other words, you pretty much won't have a warranty despite buying new. Some here in Canada have been lucky and had their Canadian dealers honor their warranty, but from what I read, those are flukes. Most dealers aren't too happy to service warranties on bikes they didn't sell anyway (even though the are supposed to and risk loosing their dealership refusing to honor it).

4. If I remember right, there's a delay before the bike can be cleared for export as well... Something like 2-3 days.. So you can't just buy it, put it on the boat and leave the same day. There is a bit of paper work involved on both sides too...

Doable, yes... profitable even for the price difference here in Canada, so I'm sure it would be for the UK too.. but keep in mind there is a bit of overhead to take in consideration, as stated above!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
flippin heck man, im gettin even more frustrated relising its not just atvs! man i feel ya pain! but being so close to the boarder that must really hurt! lol we have to unite and buy in bulk for justice! then we will be laughing at the prices we paid haha,

but yeah i spoke to a uk atv dealer i told him i wanted to spend about 3000-4000 pound on a atv he said you could get a new 250 for 5kish lol he wants £8599 for one of his top spec 700r.. i asked him about importing he said " All i can say is i looked into importing the Yamaha 125 Raptor from the states last year as Yamaha uk are not importing it yet .

A couple of problem's

I must have emailed about 30 dealers in the usa on the east coast so that shipping / transport was cheaper . I got about 6 reply's .
With the cost of the machines / shipping / import tax / custom charges it was far to expensive and when i say far to expensive i mean it . They were coming to me at about £4250 also i have a relative in the states who spoke to dealers for me and i could still not get it cheaper . The only way i found to get it cheaper was to purchase in bulk , i.e 10 machines at time which would have bought it down a lot .

Also the other problem was that if customs and excise found out that i was selling these non eu approved machines they can take them off me and crush me so that was other reason . In terms of insurance you would need to speak to a few company's and see where you get .

My advise - You think it looks cheaper but trust me when you look at all the cost's it is not . Look to get one from this country "

which is fair points i guess but still that is alot of money £8559=$ 13,556.66...... lol i gotta a feeling the dealer is a member on here! haha, but yeah cheers for the advise mate, any help is apreciated god bless

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yeah... this goes both ways. I have always wanted a Land Rover D90. Here in the U.S. they are impossible to find and when you do, bend over and take the raping! They were only sold here dfrom 1992 to 1997 if I remember right. At fifteen to twenty years old they still bring $40,000 dollars. Freagin crazy!

·
Registered
61 Posts
haha mate! get him to send me one aswell! i know what well do! i have just had a genius idea! lol and we will all be laughing and benefiting from this! lets get 10 petrol heads from the uk who are looking for an absoloute bargin and dont want to get knocked of money , lets all buy 10 in bulk wholesale directly from yamaha hq as a dealer! and we will all get our atv the cheapest way possible! we will even hustle the 10 go pro cameras! hahaTHAT IS THE way forward!

LOL that would be a good idea!! luckily i have my 700 here with me in Spain, but i would want mine shipped to Spain, and even if i got another one from canada or the states, pretty sure i would keep my old faithful, we just did a 7 hour ride all through the campo brilliant fun as usual,:cool:

qcraptor!!
strangely enough Pascal(lives near the rockies) was talking about Can Am today, (canadian american joint venture?) he says they are very very good, but the problem out here is spares for them, however next year he may bring one over when he comes for his holidays!!???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts