Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have an '01 660 and the tranny finally let go. I picked up and '02 bottom end in good working condition from the forum here and am mating it up to my freshened up '01 top end. I went to install the cylinder and noticed that 2 of the 4 cylinder bolts that are on the flywheel side (left) of the motor are slightly longer than the 2 bolts on the clutch (right) side of the motor. I then went to the OEM microphish and found that in fact 2 of the 4 cylinder bolts are meant to be longer than the others and that they have different part numbers.

So the problem: When attempting to thread in the bolts on the flywheel side they just spin as if they are not long enough and are not catching the threads. Also, you can take the bolts and push then down oh a 1/4 in or so as if the bolt hole is larger than the bolt it self. You can feel the threads rubbing as you press it down. I then thought well maybe the cases of an '02 have a slighty deeper thread so I checked the PN's online and sure enough:

'01: 90105-09648-00
'02+: 90105-10650-00

So I assumed that the '02 was a longer bolt and with that I would be fine. So I ordered it up and received it today and when I went to install it the same exact thing happend so I compared the bolts and they appear to be exactly the same. I checked to see if the new PN supersceded the old and there is no indication as such. So now I am stuck. I can seem to think of what to do next. I did check the threads and they seem to be fine in the cylinder.

Also in the removal process of the cylinder I managed to mess up the brand new cylinder-case gasket. It's metal and can be bent back. Should I run it or get a new one?

Check out this video for a hopeful better understanding of what I am dealing with.

Thanks!

Video

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok, so I have an '01 660 and the tranny finally let go. I picked up and '02 bottom end in good working condition from the forum here and am mating it up to my freshened up '01 top end. I went to install the cylinder and noticed that 2 of the 4 cylinder bolts that are on the flywheel side (left) of the motor are slightly longer than the 2 bolts on the clutch (right) side of the motor. I then went to the OEM microphish and found that in fact 2 of the 4 cylinder bolts are meant to be longer than the others and that they have different part numbers.

So the problem: When attempting to thread in the bolts on the flywheel side they just spin as if they are not long enough and are not catching the threads. Also, you can take the bolts and push then down oh a 1/4 in or so as if the bolt hole is larger than the bolt it self. You can feel the threads rubbing as you press it down. I then thought well maybe the cases of an '02 have a slighty deeper thread so I checked the PN's online and sure enough:

'01: 90105-09648-00
'02+: 90105-10650-00

So I assumed that the '02 was a longer bolt and with that I would be fine. So I ordered it up and received it today and when I went to install it the same exact thing happend so I compared the bolts and they appear to be exactly the same. I checked to see if the new PN supersceded the old and there is no indication as such. So now I am stuck. I can seem to think of what to do next. I did check the threads and they seem to be fine in the cylinder.

Also in the removal process of the cylinder I managed to mess up the brand new cylinder-case gasket. It's metal and can be bent back. Should I run it or get a new one?

Check out this video for a hopeful better understanding of what I am dealing with.

Thanks!

Video

Two of the four bolts have dimples in the top of the bolt head, these are situated on the cam chain side of the engine............
01 and 02 crank cases are the same as far as those bolts are............

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I just checked and the dimpled ones are in fact the ones that I was using in the video. I also double checked the threads in the cylinder and as mentioned above, they appear to be in good shape. It's as if the hole is 1 size up from the bolt in a sense. I also tried threading them by hand with the cylinder off and they don't get too far before I get resistance. I don't want to reef on it and cause any sort of damage. I think the next thing that I will do is attempt to thread in the bolts into my old bottom end to see how it compares.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so not a good sign. The bolt threads in perfectly to the old bottom end and not really at all into the new bottom end as seen in the video below. Can a helicoil type fix be done to the case?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Damn dude i would be talking to whoever you got that case from. Have their head on a stick. That seems like a really bad place to need a helicoil. Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn dude i would be talking to whoever you got that case from. Have their head on a stick. That seems like a really bad place to need a helicoil. Good luck.
Just sent him a PM. Seemed like a reputable guy on Modded Raptor so we'll see.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Well maybe he had some aftermarket studs or something and forgot to mention it. I like to think he wasnt trying to screw you. Aint looking good though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts