Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i jus replaced the starter and one way clutch on my 03 raptor as soon as i got it from the shop it started fine the first time. then i killed it and it wouldnt start again all i hear when i push the start button is the solenid make one click and thats it. plz i need help

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Okay here we go:

Turn on headlights and try starting - do they dim when you press the start button? Also, if you hold the starter button for, say, 10-20 seconds, do the battery wires get hot? If so, the starter is stuck - something you (or they) did related to the one-way is preventing the engine or starter from turning. Pull the starter cover and remove the intermediate gear - does the starter turn now? Perhaps one of the one-way bolts has come loose and is jammed.

If the cables don't get warm (and/or headlights don't dim), short across the two large lugs on the starter solenoid with a big screwdriver (ignore the sparks)... does the starter turn over now? If so, the solenoid is bad.

If not, then your battery is dead or the battery contacts are loose, dirty or corroded. First, remove and clean all mating surfaces on battery and cable lugs with a wire brush, then tighten with a wrench, not screwdriver. Does it start now?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
ok i jus replaced the starter and one way clutch on my 03 raptor as soon as i got it from the shop it started fine the first time. then i killed it and it wouldnt start again all i hear when i push the start button is the solenid make one click and thats it. plz i need help
Are you saying that the bike was fixed at a shop, started once okay and now fails to start or even turn over, if so call the shop that worked on it and have them pick it up and repair it properly................

·
Registered
273 Posts
that would be my first call lol willy

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Doesn't hurt to do the simple tests anyway, so when you do take it back you can deal with them from a position of knowledge - not stuck with them telling you it's something new and unrelated if you've already proven it isn't.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Doesn't hurt to do the simple tests anyway, so when you do take it back you can deal with them from a position of knowledge - not stuck with them telling you it's something new and unrelated if you've already proven it isn't.
Absolutely right, sometimes a mechanic can forget a simple thing in his procedure in the repair exercise, it happens to me occasionally, but this the reason for test driving and double checking your repair.............

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well i trired t short out the two lugs on the soleniiod and no spark the headlights dnt dim and wires dont get hot i also took off the starter cover and the starter motor doesnt even spin.... i will prob take it back up to the shop tommorow i jus beem low on funds but thanks guys for your help

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Okay, so here are the only things that can be wrong:

Solenoid is bad

Starter is bad

Cable between starter and solenoid is bad or its connections at the solenoid or starter are loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts