Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s happening guy
New to this whole quad thing so if I say anything wrong I apologise in advance..

right so I have a raptor 660r bought of a mate (well used) says it’s 2006 on the reg search but it’s obviously got to be 2005 or after (maybe registered as road legal in 2006)

mods that I know of to engine are... uprated jets and dynojet power commander
Not sure if anything else has been changed.

now I have noticed oil in the air box for some time now clean it up and take it for a 10min ride and notice a substantial amount of oil in there again...

now the bike would randomly cut out sometimes then struggle to start again but would always eventually start (bad compression?) but when it’s running it runs perfect.

took it out a few days ago just up my road and noticed oil leaving from under the bike so pulled up at home looked and oil was literally leaking out of the hole in the air box.
Looking into it a bit more noticed it wasn’t coming from the carb but from the breather hose that I’m assuming comes from the engine. Stating the bike with the air box off u can see clearly like a tap a mixture of what smells and looks like oil and petrol.

many question is what could be the issue piston rings? Head gasket? Combination of both or something else completely.
any help would be great

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Do you have a 660 or a 700? You mentioned Jets and a power commander; you have one or the other, not both. You are correct that a 660 would be 2005 or older.

Assuming it’s a 660, one of the very common and easy to fix issues is dirty carburetors. Leaking float valves could potentially drain fuel into the engine if the overflow drains are plugged.

Badly worn rings could cause excessive contamination. Maybe losing pressure past rings pushing oil out the crankcase vent.

How is the oil level?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a 660 or a 700? You mentioned Jets and a power commander; you have one or the other, not both. You are correct that a 660 would be 2005 or older.

Assuming it’s a 660, one of the very common and easy to fix issues is dirty carburetors. Leaking float valves could potentially drain fuel into the engine if the overflow drains are plugged.

Badly worn rings could cause excessive contamination. Maybe losing pressure past rings pushing oil out the crankcase vent.

How is the oil level?
It’s a 660 and I was told by the previous owner it has jets and I can see the power commander under the seat just behind the battery.

it’s definitely coming through the crankcase vent pipe and it’s a lot I mean if I left the bike running for 60seconds the entire air box would be a small swimming pool of oil and fuel I’m assuming it’s fuel aswell as it smells like it but is black and greasy.

the oil level is low now was fine before this whole situation happened

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Eventually oil will smell of fuel, contamination happens. I would assume you’re losing a lot of compression past rings.

Have any pictures of the bike?
I’m really curious as to what you’re calling a power commander on a 660.

Reactions: Nixon cole

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,748 Posts
It’s a 660 and I was told by the previous owner it has jets and I can see the power commander under the seat just behind the battery.

it’s definitely coming through the crankcase vent pipe and it’s a lot I mean if I left the bike running for 60seconds the entire air box would be a small swimming pool of oil and fuel
I would assume you’re losing a lot of compression past rings.
I’m really curious as to what you’re calling a power commander on a 660.
Over in the UK they did have a 660 in the year of 2006. I've seen a bunch in previous threads. But it wouldn't have a Power Commander, unless it was ignition only like the 'Dyna FS' or 'Roost Boost'. I don't know when the 700 was introduced, and it could have a Power Commander added.

Crankcase pressure is usually caused by worn or broken rings. Another possibility is a bad oil pump that isn't scavenging correctly, or oil that is mistakenly measured on the dipstick and overfilled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply guys

right so I will get some pics of the power commander in the morning and post them up it seems to be wired in but if it actually does anything I don’t know I wouldn’t know what the bike feels like stock as this is my first quad and my first bike full stop so I’m very new to all of this..

A lot of people I have spoke to are also saying rings as the amount of oil coming out the vent is crazy literally like a tap.
I was hoping for it to be maybe the head gasket as it’s a cheeper job but either way it will cost.

·
11,748 Posts
If you want to play, you have to pay, lol.
Does the gas tank have a fuel shut off valve? If so it's a 660 with carburetors.
No shut off, it's a 700 with fuel injection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so actually looking at what the box is it’s not a power commander but what looks to read as a rev box... I’m assuming this does as it says on the label (extends the Rev limiter?) anywho I’m still trying to figure out why so much oil is in the air box are we saying it more likely to be a ring issue over anything else and is it recommend to just change rings? Thanks again

·
11,748 Posts
Rings?? Yes and no! If the piston and cylinder are in good condition, a quick hone and new rings may fix it. BUT, with that much blow by, chances are the cylinder will need to be bored the next oversize and a new piston fitted. You'll need to remove the piston and cylinder and take it to a machinist to be measured, evaluated and recommendations.

Be sure to follow the manual for disassembly, especially the timing chain tensioner before the head. No manual, PM Morphrider a valid email for a copy.

We recently helped another of your neighbors in the UK do a easy top end rebuild that turned into a troublesome repair. Search for "Raptor 660 wont start up" by YamahaSpecial, about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok update just incase anyone is following this or anyone has the same issue....

Engine has been stripped and looking at it the piston and rings are brand new and the bore looks absolutely amazing condition.

so the issue.
The carbs are allowing the fuel to pass through the engine (not sure of technical way of saying it) and essentially flooding the engine removed about 2lts of petrol from the bottom part of the engine so what was coming through the breather was a mixture of petrol and oil as the petrol was mixing in the oil tank flooding the oil and tuning trough the crankcase vent..
So carbs are having a full rebuild happy to say it’s not the piston or the rings or anything major..

Finding all this out I still have one question

I have come across my choke cable not connected to anything (it was like this when I got the bike and runs fine) could this be contributing to the fact fuel is flooding the engine just something I thought might have something to do with the issue

·
11,748 Posts
If I were you ,I would run a quick hone thru the cylinder and replace the rings.

Yes, a choke even partially closed will cause excessive gas to wash down the cylinder and cause the problems you have. The spark plug would be black and fouled.

When rebuilding the carbs, be sure not to mix parts from L & R as they are different. Run a small copper (speaker) thru all body orifices followed by spray cleaner. If the idle jets are #22.5, you can replace them with #25 if they are available over there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I were you ,I would run a quick hone thru the cylinder and replace the rings.

Yes, a choke even partially closed will cause excessive gas to wash down the cylinder and cause the problems you have. The spark plug would be black and fouled.

When rebuilding the carbs, be sure not to mix parts from L & R as they are different. Run a small copper (speaker) thru all body orifices followed by spray cleaner. If the idle jets are #22.5, you can replace them with #25 if they are available over there.
Thank you for that I appreciate the help I purchased a top end rebuild kit minus the valves and springs so will be new bore and piston with rings. So potentially if I don’t get the choke fixed this could happen again.. is removing the choke recommended or would it make more sense just to fix it.

again appreciate the help you guys have been amazing

·
11,748 Posts
I think you should fix the choke. When everything is working properly you should need the choke for starting.

I don't know what top end kit you bought, but I recommend using a genuine Yamaha head gasket. And, check your head for warpage.

Reactions: Raptor_cas
1 - 13 of 13 Posts