Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's what I got. I just bought an 01 raptor yesterday with a 680 big bore kit. When I bought it we pulled it out of the guys heated garage and it fired right up and I bombed around on it just fine. Got her home and wanted to go for a ride. Went to fire it up and she would bearly crank. it was cranking really slowly and when it hit compression stroke would sometimes just stop. I though ok dead battery I put a jump pack on and cranked a little faster only bearly enough to get it started. Took it out for a ride and went ok but everytime I would stop I had the same problem and it seemed to have problems in the low end sometimes. Also a few times I would start in N and when kicked in gear would stall. Today went out to start and now with jump pack it will somewhat crank but no hope of starting. Fuel and spark are both there. With choke on it cranks even less actually stops. Seems like excessive compression. Also noticed when it was idling yesterday the hmf stainless headers were bright cherry red. I just want to ride any help would be awesome guys! Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My first suggestion is to test your voltage, grab a tester and stick it on your battery, then crank it over and watch your voltage. if you drop down to low voltages you may need a new battery, or your may just need a good charge. jump packs offer voltage but do not offer good amperage through the cables they have on them which is why having a battery with a slight charge in it will always be easier for a jump pack to start.

try putting a slow charger on your battery, only set the charger to 2-10 amps to give it a good solid charge, then do the voltage test again. if it drops in voltage again head for the store for a new battery.

Edit: btw I have never owned a raptor 660 so I probably wont be of much help beyond this. I have heard of people talking about bad one-ways in their starter?? please correct me if im wrong on that one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise but correct me if I'm wrong. Even with a fully charged battery if you for instance the starter isn't strong enough and is bogging down so to speak the voltage would drop to low voltages anyways. I poked around a little more in the forums and found a few threads about raptors with big bore kits doing similar things and they replaced the stator and was good as new. Can anybody clarify? Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i think its either your battery or the valves need to be adjusted... if when u press the start button, all you see is the N light and the temp light come on, then dim, and the relay clicks, then your battery is dead and needs a charge, if the relay works and the starter starts turning, but the light go dim again and it never starts, then battery still needs to be charged, if the thing just keeps cranking and not starting, try adjusting your valves, that was the problem on mine, after that it fired right up

·
Registered
240 Posts
+1 on adjust the valves, the decompression pin operats the left side exhaust valve, so check that valve first if it has a lot of slack it may not be getting ful decompression making it very hard to turn over. Assuming you have a good battery.

Or it could be the cam chain has jumped time like mine did? If the battery is good, that is where I would start!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So nobody really thinks that it may be the stator? I'm going to throw a new battery in it tonight and maybe get to checking valves. Thanks so far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i bought a new battery for it yesterday. Threw it in and what do you know started right up. I was so excited i suited up and went out with my buddy for a ride. She wasnt running impressively great or anything stalled a few times and i would have to put it in N to start it again because same thing that starter couldnt turn the motor. All seemed ok until i pulled back in the driveway i shut it down to tell my buddy how excited i was. I then went to start it back up to put it away for the night and it started all over again. Wouldnt start. Wouldnt crank. Just like it did before. Is it possible that the battery isnt being recharged by the motor and i fried the stator by trying to jump it so many times? Im really gettings pissed at this thing....

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Now that you know your battery is good, recharge it, and then put a volt meter on it before you go to start it, make sure the charger is off! and test your volts, and then start it and check the volts at the battery again, if the volts are higher running then when shut of then your stator is good. THEN with it running, put your headlights on and then retest it, if its still higher then when its shut off, its not your stator. With the vechile shut off, disconnect the positive battery wire, and run a multimeter between the positive wire and the + on the battery and see if its consusuming voltage, maybe its draining your battery and lowering the voltage just enough so it won't start.

thanks
craig

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I got the new battery in it. I threw a new plug in it. I've been running it for a few hours between yesterday and today probably 4 hours total. I can get it to start but it is still a huge struggle when it hits compression stroke. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 attempts. Thr other thing is it seems the low end power is a little boggy and its favprote thing to do is stall for no reason. Sometimes at idle and once today in 2nd gear on the throttle. But when it stalls it just goes out no sputtering or anything. This is getting so frustrating please help. Thanks for everyone so far!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thr other thing is it seems the low end power is a little boggy and its favprote thing to do is stall for no reason. Sometimes at idle and once today in 2nd gear on the throttle. But when it stalls it just goes out no sputtering or anything. This is getting so frustrating please help. Thanks for everyone so far!
did it bog when u were test riding it? and when u unplug the rectifier does it turn over any easier?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
did it bog when u were test riding it? and when u unplug the rectifier does it turn over any easier?
+1

Unplug the rectifier and see if it starts any easier. If so, it is a stator problem. Although from what I remember with my buddies stator problem, it didn't turn over at all until the rectifier was unplugged. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
+1

Unplug the rectifier and see if it starts any easier. If so, it is a stator problem. Although from what I remember with my buddies stator problem, it didn't turn over at all until the rectifier was unplugged. Good Luck!
mine turned over but didn't have spark until it was unplugged

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome people thank you. Where is it located? I'm glad I have a starting point for tomorrow. I will post back with results.

·
Registered
842 Posts
rear of quad under the tail light!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hope this is my final issue for now I just got a stator from ebay, because they arent cheap and im just hoping this works out, but i had a spark once in awhile and then i unplugged the rectifier full spark, still no start but it minus -15 c when I tried. so hopefully this fixes it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok went out to it this morning cranked it a few times so i would have something to compare to. Still does the whole not wanting to crank past compression stroke. The second time i went to hit the button (before i unplugged rectifier) no it does NOTHING. Not even a click out of the relay. Checked all the fused on the relay and they are fine. Im about ready to push this thing down the hill into the lake.....

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
ok went out to it this morning cranked it a few times so i would have something to compare to. Still does the whole not wanting to crank past compression stroke. The second time i went to hit the button (before i unplugged rectifier) no it does NOTHING. Not even a click out of the relay. Checked all the fused on the relay and they are fine. Im about ready to push this thing down the hill into the lake.....
You unplugged the rectifier..Correct..? If that didn't work idk what to say man. I'm on my fourth bike, and my '03 660 gave me the most troubles by far.. Maybe something is gummed up internally.?

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
I have read all the posts on hear so far and agree with some of the help that has been given to you.
It seems as if when you have a fresh battery it turns over properly, or is it that maybe it has stopped on a stroke that gives it more of a chance to turn over, maybe when it stops on the compression stroke, this is when you have your problem, if this is the case, then the decompressor pin that opens the valve is too short, this will cause something as you describe.

And pushing it into the lake will not HELP it start.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts