Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 03 raptor that the guy said it had been sitting for about a year. I changed all the fluids and cleaned the carb. Today I put the carb back on and it's having trouble idling and is missing a little bit. Also sometimes it seems to rev on it's own. Any one have a clue ?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I bought a 03 raptor that the guy said it had been sitting for about a year. I changed all the fluids and cleaned the carb. Today I put the carb back on and it's having trouble idling and is missing a little bit. Also sometimes it seems to rev on it's own. Any one have a clue ?
Idle circuit is dirty and needs to be cleaned, or else it is jetted to lean at the idle circuit............
Pilot jets need to be cleaned if it turns out to be dirty pilot circuit........

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Did you clean each individual jet and pilot jet until you could see a nice symmetric shaft of light coming thru each narrow passage? This often requires 'rodding' out the jet using a thin piece of copper strand or strands, stolen from a piece of speaker wire.

The fuel screws (not air - two strokes have air screws, four strokes have fuel) adjust idle mixture from idle to about 1/4 throttle. Rough idle or slow return to idle could be due to their adjustment, but not usually varying idle speed - this is usually due to a vacuum leak somewhere or a sticky mechanical component - butterfly, slider, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.