Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I decided to go for a ride so I pulled my raptor out of the garage and it fired up, I let it sit for 5 minutes then I started to ride first when I came to a stop then decided to move again it would stall, like id have to give it half throttle to move, Then it stalled and wouldnt start :3question:. So I ripped the plastics off and checked evrything from the spark plug to every connection. I dabbed some silicone grease in the connectors to the tps sensor and removed the negative terminal on the battery for ten minutes. Sure enough it fired right up and ran great for the rest of the night. Now today its happening all over again except this time it didnt start right back up like before after disconnecting the battery :mad: so I played around with the throttle and idle screw and was able to get it started without hitting the gas but it runs like crap and eventually sputters out. I really dont want to bring it back to the dealership because they are more than 2 hours from me and itll take them at least a week to see it screwing up all my plans for next weekend. It was there once before for a similar problem except I told him to replace the TPS sensor and thats what he did. My 6 month warrenty has recently run out and Ive had nothing but trouble like this from day 1. What could it be??? I didnt change the spark plug just yet but thats my next step. Any other ideas :help:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Even after my TPS was replaced, she still had a hard time starting and holding an idle. My mechanic thought back to a Grizzly 700 that had him stumped before. After all his regular checks, he resorted to taking apart ALL electrical connections he could think of. He found water pocketed in between the connections for the 'air pressure sensor' (I think that's what he said),right above the TPS I believe. Cleaned it out, dried it up and like BAM she started and ran perfect. When I got home, I went ahead and put dielectric grease in that connection too. Since then, I've been way more careful with how I clean her off.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Is the bike showing any codes? Mine quit on me a month back and ended up being the electrical connection going into the ECU. It's mounted in a rubber jacket on the side of the air cleaner box and one of the wires had backed out of the plug. Seems that electrical connections are an issue sometimes with these bikes.

Here is a break down of the engine codes for people that don't have the manual. First to let everyone know how this works. When you have the check engine light come on there is some flashes that will tell you a #. There would be slower longer flashes that tell you what the first # will be. Then there would be faster shorter flashes that will tell you the second #. Now for exp. if you get two short long flashes with four short faster ones, then that whould tell you that that is a code 24.

CODES / ITEM

12 Crankshaft position sensor
13 Intake air pressure sensor (open or short circuit)
14 Intake air pressure sensor (hose line)
15 Throttle position sensor (open or closed circuit)
16 Throttle position sensor
21 Coolant temperture sensor
22 Intake ait temperture sensor (open or closed circuit)
30 Lean angle sensor (latch up detected)
33 Ignition coil (faulty ignition)
41 Lean angle sensor (open or closed circuit)
42 Speed sensor/ Neutral switch
43 Fuel system voltage (monitoring voltage)
44 Error in writing the amount of CO adjustment on EEPROM
46 Vehicle system power supply (monitioring voltage)
50 ECU internal malfunction (memory check error)

Good luck! Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an update on this problem! When I woke up I started the quad and it ran fine for like 15 minutes then it died :3question: I couldnt get it started at all!! so i gave up and went to work. I got home and had my friend whos a mechanic come over to take a quick look. We went to the garage and it started right up, he checked a few things and said there was nothing wrong then as soon as he left like clockwork it sputtered and died! WTF This is the second time I had someone come over and this happens.

Also on a strange note my Vapor doesnt stay on anymore?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Judging by your bike's symptoms, I'm staring to think alternator and or battery and possibly regulator. Here's my rational. The bike starts, runs for a short time..then dies. You leave it for a while, it does the same thing.

the reason it starts and then dies is because it's running straight from the battery and not the alternator, the alternator should be charging the battery and providing juice for the bike, enough that if you disconnected the battery, it shouldn't stall (to my knowledge), since the battery isn't getting charged (or possibly not accepting a charge) it goes until the battery is dead (the ECU senses low voltage level from the battery and shuts it down)

the reason it starts back up again after a while is because the battery has some risidual life in it and allows the bike to crank over for a short bit

So I would monitor the voltage before you start it, while you crank the starter and then while it's running and finally when it's dying and stops. See what happens. There should be a write up in the service manual on voltage levels.

See if that is your problem. I would also double check the batter connections and most importanly, the main ground connection on the bike's frame. See if it's properly bonded to the frame.

good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm I cant find the alternator :3question: and the battery doesnt look like it is losing power I mean the headlights dont dim and the starter is always strong like without hesitation. I really need to check all this stuff again.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I've seen threads where guys had ground cable issues..... Take all the plastic off, go thru every connection and check it. It'll take time but I'd bet it's a connection issue. My battery acted like it was shorted out when i had a bad connection at the ECU. Wouldn't hold a charge at all. Now it's fine. Double check the pins inside the plug under the ECU!!!! If one backs out it will cause an intermittent problem.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
I just had this problem, I think it's your throttle positioning sensor, mine ran like crap at the track, i washed it and took it to the yammy service guy and it ran fine, so i took it home, ran like crap.....a guy on here said to check the TPS....i took it back to yammy and got it replaced under warranty, solved the problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already had the tps replaced 2 weeks ago, I talked to the dealer and there giving me a fresh new raptor 700 seII in blue/white for 1000$ plus trade in my piece of crap. :thumbsup:

Although id like to find out the problem, to be quite honest I think its the TPS again just causing a diferent problem. I did pressure wash it when I got it home from them but it ran fine for a few trips. I dont know anymore and the money I spend to fix it now that my warrenty is out id have to be stupid not to pass up this deal. But thanks for all the people who gave their support :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
i had a problem with mine when i first got it last year. If i rode it for a little while and cut it off it wouldnt start back up for prob. 5 min.... months went by and the damn thing done it again yesterday....twice. I checked the plug and it was fine plus i just put it in there 2 days before. It will turn over till you get tired of holding the start button just wont start up... it finally did after 5 min or so. I got my 700 right when they first came out so i am leaning toward the bad fuel pump deal... Does anyone have an idea if this would go toward my extended warranty since it is a yamaha defect or what... you would think that yamaha would send a letter to everyone who purchased one of the early models to let them be aware of the problem.. If you buy a new vehicle and it has a recall on something they somehow let you be aware of it... That is scewed up that ive had to deal with this a few times and just now figuring out what it is and yamaha knew about it the whole time... im pissed. :rocket: :ripped: :wtf:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem. While I've done several mods to my bike, my bike has run fine after all of them. The only thing that sounds familiar is that I ALSO pressure washed my bike for the first time and did my best to blow all the water out with compressed air. I installed my LTE duals and the bike ran great... the first weekend out in the desert, it wouldn't even start. I'm wondering if water slowly worked its way into an electrical connection causing it to not start. Also at one point before it completely died, I blew an ignition fuse while powering about mid throttle in third gear catching air... I'm thinking this pressure washing is causing problems for people on these bikes. I'm going to remove all my plastics tomorrow (thursday) to inspect all my wiring connections, replace my battery, spark plug, and rectifier. I'll keep you guys posted, and I'll be tracking this thread to see what you guys figure out.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
well i went to the stealership and the dude there said the fuel pump was not a recall. I printed the thing off the internet about the bad fuel pumps that were put on the early model and gave it to him and asked him why it wasnt a recall. He called some ppl for about an hour or maybe 45 min and told me to leave the quad there. I mean when yamaha realized that they were not right after the first few months of production they swapped to the right one. Why did they do that and not send letters out to ppl that had already purchased them.. that is screwed up and im probably gonna write someone that has some pull at yamaha and tell them what i think about it..prob wont do any good but atleast i will be able to vent on them and they will feel my frustration. I will forgive them if i get some cool gear of something. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Raptor won't start

One day I saw that my raptor's heat sensor is faulty. I bought a new one and when I tried to start it, it just keeps on cranking. The engine light blinks 3 short and 3 long. I changed the ignition coil and a new cdi but there are no spark. Please let me know if you have any solutions. I just can't get it to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently pulled out my 2016 Raptor 700 after being parked all winter. Changed oil & spark plug, started it it went on for a second then turned off, started back firing. After that cleaned the carb,checked air filter, redid the valve timing, spark plug is wet, code is 55 (I don't see a code 55) can someone give me some tips here? I'm staring to become very confused with living miles and plane rides away from a nearest mechanic/Shop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.