Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I missing something here? Got the lower portion of the steering stem dissasembled but I cannot get it to slide through the rubber seal at the very top up by where the bars attach. I see there's a couple bolts there that could be loosened but can't get to them, do I need to remove the fuel tank in order to get these bad boys out? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Tank the tank off and then remove that bracket. Its easy.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
There are two rubber orings that fit into grooves in the stem. you have to unloosen quite a bit to get it past the grooves on the bar clamp.

·
Registered
125 Posts
take the tank off and there are two 12mm bolts holding the upper clamp on. before loosening these bolts you must first bend back the 4 safety tabs holing the bolts in place. just tap them out of the way with a flat screwdriver and hammer. good luck...careful putting it back together because the two rubber seals are split.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure would be easier if those bolts were facing the other direction, it's suprising what one can figure out when they look in the service manual :) I got the stock one off and installed my Houser steering stem and Tag Bars, now I just need to button it back up when I get my power commander back from getting the wiring harness update.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
FlatStateRacing said:
Sure would be easier if those bolts were facing the other direction, it's suprising what one can figure out when they look in the service manual :) I got the stock one off and installed my Houser steering stem and Tag Bars, now I just need to button it back up when I get my power commander back from getting the wiring harness update.
We are on the same exact schedule. I am sending the PCIII tommorrow for the update and started taking everything apart to put my stem and bars on. I also have to put the Dr D reverse lever, the pro design case saver, and the acerbis handgaurds. Gonna be a long week because I have to wait for my tie rods to come in. Bent one today and didn't even hit anything but the ground.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DrDsRaptor said:
FlatStateRacing said:
We are on the same exact schedule. I am sending the PCIII tommorrow for the update and started taking everything apart to put my stem and bars on. I also have to put the Dr D reverse lever, the pro design case saver, and the acerbis handgaurds. Gonna be a long week because I have to wait for my tie rods to come in. Bent one today and didn't even hit anything but the ground.
DRD, what stem and bars are you installing? I went with the Houser with 11/8 mounts and tag bars. Only problem is now I've got to figure out where to mount the ignition as the old plastic housing doesn't fit over the new clamps. Thought there was a kit to move it to the reverse lever and then I would get the Dr D reverse lever up on the bars. Not sure yet though.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I went with the Tag. figured I'd give it a try, Houser was up there on my list. I am installing the Dr d reverse lever as well and putting the ignition where the revers was. A couple of other guys did this and it seemed to work out. I will let you know how after this week. I am very anal about doing things right so if I find a good way to set it up I will tell you.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DrDsRaptor said:
I went with the Tag. figured I'd give it a try, Houser was up there on my list. I am installing the Dr d reverse lever as well and putting the ignition where the revers was. A couple of other guys did this and it seemed to work out. I will let you know how after this week. I am very anal about doing things right so if I find a good way to set it up I will tell you.
Is their enough length on the ignition wiring to make it to the reverse slot?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Yeah I hear ya I just can't stop spending. There is always somethig to buy and if not then stuff starts breaking. I am looking forward to getting everything on it. I ahve had the stem for two weeks but my friends have kept asking me not to take it apart yet so we could ride. Now since I have the bent tie rod and there is down time, I figured I would send the PCIII for the harness update and put EVERYTHING on. Let me know how it works out. Hey FLAT where are you from?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DrDsRaptor said:
Yeah I hear ya I just can't stop spending. There is always somethig to buy and if not then stuff starts breaking. I am looking forward to getting everything on it. I ahve had the stem for two weeks but my friends have kept asking me not to take it apart yet so we could ride. Now since I have the bent tie rod and there is down time, I figured I would send the PCIII for the harness update and put EVERYTHING on. Let me know how it works out. Hey FLAT where are you from?
I'm from Omaha Nebraska, as one can imagine the 17 below windchill today here at home has got me sitting behind my pc hitting the place order button instead of riding :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
FlatStateRacing said:
DrDsRaptor said:
I'm from Omaha Nebraska, as one can imagine the 17 below windchill today here at home has got me sitting behind my pc hitting the place order button instead of riding :thumbsup:.
LOL yeah that's a touch too cold. Order away ya only live once. I am so psyched to get all of my stuff on. Problem is it won't stop there. I'll just find something else to buy.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[/quote]

LOL yeah that's a touch too cold. Order away ya only live once. I am so psyched to get all of my stuff on. Problem is it won't stop there. I'll just find something else to buy.
[/quote]

There's definitely always something I think I need, I wasn't planning on doing any more than the 3 mods plus some other aftermarket goodies but now I'm debating whether to part with my HMF Carbon Pro Series pipe to get some LTE's. I bought the HMF originally to keep from spending $800 on an exhaust and I do love it but there's just something about a set of duals that makes me think I need them.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I am thinkning about the Precision stabilizer next. For $485 that thing should pick the line and steer for you. I mean DAM! I am sticking with the Dr D exhaust as much as I think the Lte's are hot. Not enough of a power increase to warrant the cost for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.