Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been gone for awhile so have not kept up on the latest and greatest. I currently have Barkers Duals, TRF Intake, and PCIII on a 08 700. Would like opinions on the best cam and pistons for me. I mainly trail ride but like to kick some occassional ass when needed.
I know I could probably find this info on some other thread but I'm to lazy to look.

Thx

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
LOL,

If you want to keep it simple I'd go with HC3 and a 11.5:1 tech piston. This will give you a pump gas safe setup and won't require any head work. You can install it yourself, it's pretty straightforward if you take your time. I installed two piston/cam combos so far and they were my first and second time opening an engine... First time was a bit long, but second time went really smoothly.

If you really want to do it once and for all, go with a bigger cam like the web or 5050, but these require a bit of headwork to fit, they aren't just a drop-in.

I have a HC2 and 11.5 tech piston with my big3 and I'm getting 59 whp on the dyno. My dynatek was disconnected when I dyno'ed it though, so I guess I'm probably 1-3 hp over that now that it's back in the loop. I had removed it because I thought I had a fire issue, but it turned out to be the gas pump that was going bad.

Another mod to look at is the dynatek. It's a bit cheaper than the piston/cam combo and it's a very straightforward install. Get the programmable one with the custom curves, I hear it's much better. I have the base model and it's better than stock for sure, I can feel the difference when I take it out... but it's nothing dramatic.

·
Registered
850 Posts
:lol: What QC said is pretty much on.. Definitely get the programmable Dyna with DL's curves.. Going in the motor some it would also help to ditch the TRF intake and switch to an FCI..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just installed a TECH 11.5:1 piston, Stage 3 Hot Cam and +3 Throttle Body on my brothers bike and it pulled 64HP on Racers Edge dyno.
He is running Monster Duals, Pro Design Intake with K&N, stock ignition, stock head.
Not bad HP from just bolt on stuff.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like all I have to do is spend a bunch of money this winter.
Thinking about the following...
11.5:1 Tech Piston
Cam (still unsure)
Port n Polish Head
+3 Throttle Body
Dyna
Ace Fabrications +4 Swingarm
Heavy Duty Springs

Thoughts or suggestions on anything I missed without big bore or turbo. Just want to beat my buddy on his XP 900 that will have 100+ hp by spring.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If your going to do a port at polish you might as well have them go with bigger valves. If you cant spring for the valves, have them throw some heavy duty springs on the stock valves. That will give you the ability to run the higher lift cam,as long as you clearance the rocker. I am partial to the 5050.. The torque throughout the midrange is awesome..

·
Registered
850 Posts
HDD5050 is a billet webcam distributed by high desert dyno. A great midrange cam that can make good numbers up top as well.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Looks like all I have to do is spend a bunch of money this winter.
Thinking about the following...
11.5:1 Tech Piston
Cam (still unsure)
Port n Polish Head
+3 Throttle Body
Dyna
Ace Fabrications +4 Swingarm
Heavy Duty Springs

Thoughts or suggestions on anything I missed without big bore or turbo. Just want to beat my buddy on his XP 900 that will have 100+ hp by spring.
HD5050
+1mm valves
CNC Head
FCI (if you dont already have it)
Dyna with DL Curves

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thx to everyone for their help. Decided on the 5050 cam. Probably won't do the build til March. Building a house and it should be finished by then. I'll post pics and numbers when its done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts