Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well... I had the 660 out this weekend and i think i hurt her good...

I went into some water... couldnt keep her out of the deep stuff...

looks like she sucked up some water by looking in the air box...

Now after the water it had no problem riding 2.5km back home...

ran fine, no issues, no lack of power...

I cleaned her off, went back half an hour later and she wont start...

I was worried about hydro lock but it cranks no different than before...

I opened the oil resevoir and the oil just pours out... doesnt look milky though... but my guess is there is fuel in the oil

I am going to drain the oil and go from there... but does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?

Im not a quad guy... this is my first.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is it possible that the water screwed with the carbs and now the floats are stuck open and pouring fuel into the cylinder?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
few things im going to check:

Plug
Oil
Clean the Carbs

That will happen in a few weeks... right now I have a 200 blaster stripped to the frame and need to finish that first.

Let me know what you guys think

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
few things im going to check:

Plug
Oil
Clean the Carbs

That will happen in a few weeks... right now I have a 200 blaster stripped to the frame and need to finish that first.

Let me know what you guys think
You didnt check the oil level properly...........that is what I think...........Drain it and you should have around 2.3 liters.............

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I did was open up the oil cap and it wanted to puke oil all over the place.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
All I did was open up the oil cap and it wanted to puke oil all over the place.
The engine must be hot (at operating temperature) and shut down for several minutes to properly check oil...............

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
I suspect you have water in your spark plug boot... or somewhere else in the electrics - wicked in after things cooled down from your return ride.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok... I was talkin to my old man who pretty much said its electrical.

This is starting to wear on me just over thinking it. Tomorrow I'm probably going to go over all the electric starting with the spark plug wire...

So Willy are you saying that the oil tank will over flow if the engine is cold? Pardone my ignorance about this raptor

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Yes, the problem with 10 year old quads (or anything else - I have the same problem with my Jaguar) is that the 'waterproof' connectors aren't always sealing like they did when new... Get some dielectric grease, and as you disconnect and clean/dry any connection, put the grease in the contacts and on the o-ring prior to re-connecting - you'll gain another few years of leak free service out of them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks QuadManiac...

Ive got a bottle of dielectric grease in the tool box...

Probably tare the front plastic off some time this week and take a good look at it

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suspect you have water in your spark plug boot... or somewhere else in the electrics - wicked in after things cooled down from your return ride.

Thanks QuadManiac!!! It was water in my spark plug area!!! There was a lot... Blew it out with my compressor and dried it all off... First crank it fired back up.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Glad it was easy!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
believe me i was happy when she fired up...

I was worried that my bike was going to need a tare down, Im right in the middle of a 1999 Blaster 200 build for the girlfriend, complete right down to the frame... last thing i needed was my bike needing maintenance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts