Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm getting 2500$ from my tax return and i've decided to put it all into the raptor. Currently i have a ims roll design steering stem, asv levers, full flight racing +2 a-arms, trail Tech x bars, aluminium oil tank, aluminum airbox w/ 2 k&n air filters, elka shocks, billet bearing carrier, um nerf bars, um grab bar, kevlar clutch, itp wheels and maxxis tires. i want to get exhaust and i have been checking out the dual fcr 39mm carbs. i've been looking at ct exhaust or curtis sparks exhaust. I've been considering doing a big bore kit but i'm not sure if i want to go that crazy. I for sure am buying a new axle because i have a stock axle. any other advice would be greatly appreciated. my goal is to smoke my buddies trx450r with the hrc kit.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
build a 686 or 720 if you're stuck on building the 660 IMO. Sould definately get a pipe,cam,piston... HEADWORK (port&polish) is where you're gonna make the most power.

I wouldn't waste time/money doing FCR's on a stock internal engine. Once it's built though, yeah- you're gonna want some 35's or 39's

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I wouldn't waste time/money doing FCR's on a stock internal engine. Once it's built though, yeah- you're gonna want some 35's or 39's
yea x2

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
I know I have a 700, but I just spent $2,500 at racers edge and got quite a bit of stuff:

DASA duals, 11:1 CP, Port and Polish, +1 valves, FCI, Webb4, valves and springs, dyno, and labor. So 2.5k can go quite a long ways. I say axle, exhaust, 686 kit with piston, cam, and P&P. Basically what Seg said, lol.

·
Registered
435 Posts
ill PM you my address so you can send that $2,500 my way. lol

·
Registered
4,133 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I know I have a 700, but I just spent $2,500 at racers edge and got quite a bit of stuff:

DASA duals, 11:1 CP, Port and Polish, +1 valves, FCI, Webb4, valves and springs, dyno, and labor. So 2.5k can go quite a long ways. I say axle, exhaust, 686 kit with piston, cam, and P&P. Basically what Seg said, lol.
What did it push on the dyno?

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
If you're looking to smoke him on a track, get a 450.

But since you've got the suspension side of things sorted (minus the axle which I imagine you'll be buying soon) then most of the cash can go towards an engine build.

Assuming you drop 200-400 on an axle, that leaves us with around 2k or so.

Head porting will start at around 450 and go up, cam and springs is another 350-400.

That leaves you with 1k to 1200 or so. You're giving up a lot of power with a stock compression piston, problem is as you make more power, add more compression/rotatingmass/live at higher rpm/or whatever we're attributing it to you risk the stock rod failing. So if you figure 275 for a stock replacement crank and 200 for a piston that's half of what's left after gaskets, then you need to have all of this installed which will probably kill your budget.

A full build 719/720 stroker is what I'd recommend, but you need another 1500 bucks :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
A 4 mil hotrods crank with piston - get rid of that stock rod $400-500
Get a good cam and springs (maybe HC stage 2 to megacycle x4 depending on riding style) $300-400
Head work - valves (ferrea - I got my set on ebay brand new for $120 shipped) porting, maybe resizing of the valves - $450-700
Exhaust can be found from $200-$500

Axle is a good idea.

So if you figure $400 for an axle that leaves you with $2100.

IMO- I'd say go inside the engine (do the work yourself if you have the tools, maybe do some learning). Once you get the inside stuff done then the carbs are pretty easy to bolt on later. All of the above would be close to feasible if you were willing to shop around for parts. Many things can be found cheap if you are willing to wait.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
For 2500 bucks, go with a 3 plughead, stage 3 cam, 11-1 piston, head ported and a hotrod connecting rod, and upgrade the valve train and you got a good combo.............

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Sounds like another great combo Willy. I keep forgetting the 3 plugger... can't wait to get mine back and installed

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Carbs

Carbs weren't at the top of my list of parts but i've had alot of issuses with my stock carbs. My biggest issuse with my stock carbs are the quad cuts out while i'm doing wheelies. I've taken it to a shop here in MO to get them jetted and they still had the same issue when i got it back. I also have to replace the starter one way clutch too so those were 2 things i need just for my quad to run right unless anyone has any ideas on why its cutting out.

build a 686 or 720 if you're stuck on building the 660 IMO. Sould definately get a pipe,cam,piston... HEADWORK (port&polish) is where you're gonna make the most power.

·
Registered
622 Posts
wait u said MO where do u ride at im from missouri aswell
Witch shop did u take it to ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Mo riding spots

I live in grain valley right outside of kansas city. I ride mostly at some property a couple of friends have and then there is actually a track here in grain valley too.i took it to freedom cycles

wait u said MO where do u ride at im from missouri aswell
Witch shop did u take it to ?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Ok, leave it to me to suggest something off the wall but lets think outside the box. Keep your elka's and itp wheels and tires. Sell the dinosaur and with that 2000 plus the 2500 find a 2009 or 2010 700 Raptor, then put your shocks and tires on it and you'll be set for the next 5 years with a bike that will make more power with up grades and has a more contemporary frame and engine design and probably (I'm guessing) a better shifting tranny too! I've said it many times over again, If I were where you are now and know what I know, that's what I would do in a heart beat.

And for everyone else...please throw small stones at me for that one.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Ok, leave it to me to suggest something off the wall but lets think outside the box. Keep your elka's and itp wheels and tires. Sell the dinosaur and with that 2000 plus the 2500 find a 2009 or 2010 700 Raptor, then put your shocks and tires on it and you'll be set for the next 5 years with a bike that will make more power with up grades and has a more contemporary frame and engine design and probably (I'm guessing) a better shifting tranny too! I've said it many times over again, If I were where you are now and know what I know, that's what I would do in a heart beat.

And for everyone else...please throw small stones at me for that one.
I like your idea the best. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts