Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!
First of I would like to introduce myself. My name is Nate. I live in Wisconsin (milwaukee) and love my toys. I just picked up this awesome 2006 Raptor 350 yesterday. I really like it however I have noticed some issues with this beast. I have searched the forums and had some success with questions. I tried to not be a complete tool and ask for help without researching first. I had 6hours of driving to pick it up and when I finally got to the guys house I liked it. I trusted him that it ran fine and what not. When he started it up so we could load it on the trailer it cut out and just ran like complete crap. I figured it was cold outside. (32*) So I just put it on the trailer and left. I was running very late so I had to go. So here it goes.

Issue #1, the bike idles fine but when I give it any amount of gas it sputters and backfires and will then die. The bike has a HMF pipe on it so I assume the it has been jetted properly but I am not positive on that. I pulled the plug and it is very black. It also has puffs of white smoke coming out of the exhaust when I get any decent throttle response. So i know it is running rich. I have a new plug for it but I don't know the correct plug gap. I did not see any visible cracks in the tube going into the carb.

Issue #2 The carb is leaking gas but I can't see from where. It is a small leak. Are there any areas that have common issues of leaking?

Issue #3, The nuetral light does not work.

I will be going through this bike and try and button up as much as I can but for now I am a complete newbie at this. So I come here in hopes of help. Seems to be a lot of knowlegable people here. Here is a picture of it.Thanks in adavance guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well, if your plug is black, then your running rich, leaning it up a bit should help with that. If there's no air filter upgrade, and depending on your elevation could determine what jets you want to use. Spark plug gap is 0.6-0.7 mm (0.024-0.028 in) I wouldn't put that new plug until you have it jetted accordingly. If it smokes after proper jetting you could be burning oil. When you have your carb apart for jetting I would thoroughly clean and inspect it for the leak. If your reverse light is working your neutral light bulb is probably out. If you look under the dash where both the lights are you could see the wires with the bulbs on the end. Looks like you have a really nice bike. Are those Maxxis rear tires?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Congrats! I had a similar issue with my 07 350 I just bought. Change the plug, pull the fuel tank off and empty it and thoroughly clean it. Also would clean the carb and the jets with carb cleaner. Previous owner may have not gotten the gasket on the carb placed properly. Also there is a vent tube off the cab on the shifter side that if it's not on all the way will cause this problem. Let us know what works

·
Registered
205 Posts
spey some starter fluid on the carb boot when its idleing if it revs up its got small cracks in the boot oh and p.s. welcome to the forum

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! thanks for the super fast response. Good news, I got super lucky for sure. I decided to pull off the front cover to see if there was a burn bulb or loose wire for the on the neutral light. (my neutral light is on that cover) While looking around I noticed a black pigtail that was all dirty but you could obviously tell it came unpluged because the end was somewhat clean. After some digging around I found the other end, plugged it in and she purrs like a sleepin baby now! Think I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket while I'm ahead;)

However the neutral light has no socket or wire leading to it. I see a loose wire with a butt connector on it and clearly something was in there but is now gone. I'm assuming the socket let loose and got torn off or something. I will test it with a test light later. Should I go to a Yamaha dealer for the new socket?

I still have the Carb leak and I will look into what you guys have suggested. Thanks a lot for the comments and suggestions fellas. I cannot wait til I can go rip on this fine machine. Loved the short ride I did take though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
He means your Raptor is nice haha :D Look at your reverse light. The neutral light setup should be exactly the same.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Probably needs a needle and seat replaced in the carb. The seal on the needle tends to go bad over time and is a common thing. First thing I would do is get rid of those wheel spacers on the front wheels and either flip the wheels or get a solid spacer to put in their place. Looks like a nice machine!! I sure do like mine!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably needs a needle and seat replaced in the carb. The seal on the needle tends to go bad over time and is a common thing. First thing I would do is get rid of those wheel spacers on the front wheels and either flip the wheels or get a solid spacer to put in their place. Looks like a nice machine!! I sure do like mine!
Do they break or something? I was also looking at the stock tie rods. They look kind of weak. Are those strong or should I go aftermarket?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Do they break or something? I was also looking at the stock tie rods. They look kind of weak. Are those strong or should I go aftermarket?
I have never run those wheel spacers, but several people have said that they are weak. Especially if you do any jumping at all.
I've never had any issues with the stock tie rods. Just depends on your riding style and how often you encounter hard hits that would side load the front end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts