Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, need a little help for my sons 2005 350.

First:
We were having some issues with the bike starting after it ran for a while. I just noticed he had a good bit of gas sitting in the Air Box. Is this a carb issue? Can I fix it myself. If so, where should I get the parts? But now that I am thinking carb….should I do an upgrade? What’s best?

Second:
I believe we may have blow out the starter, due to all the starting issues. It’s just clicking and I can feel a vibration when we hit the start button. Where should I get a new starter, anyone replace these? Any chance it’s not the starter.

Thanks for your help.
JAM

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
If the starter is vibrating, touch the soleinoid, if it virbates, take a large screwdriver, and place it between the two bolts on the soleinoid. It should turn over the starter.

If you want to upgrade the carb, the best carb for the 350 is an Edelbrock, I know a guy with a used one for sale if you want more info, PM me. On my bike, if you let it run with the choke, in the cold, once it warms up, it idles at 1000rpm, instead of the 1580rpm it normaly does. Maybe you shouldnt use the choke?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The starting issue to me sounds like it's the valves. The gas in the airbox is probably from carburator backfires which can be caused by out of spec valves. It also may be oil from the breather if he's been revving it real high while riding. Are you sure the click isn't a low or dead battery?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the click is the battery, short the soli, and you should be able to tell.
Where and how do i short with a screwdriver...I'm not even sure where the soli is. Also, i left the bike over night after cleaning out the airbox and it filled with gas...i did have the it on reserve, so i'm thinking its certainly a carb issue with something being left open? A float maybe. I really dont know much about this bike and may just take it somewhere to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
The red and black cables connect to that from the battery, take a screwdriver and place it on both bolts, it will/try to turn over the starter. It sounds like something is stuck in the carb.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The red and black cables connect to that from the battery, take a screwdriver and place it on both bolts, it will/try to turn over the starter. It sounds like something is stuck in the carb.
OK, will clean out gas and give it a go...i may try and clean out the carb myself as well....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds like a plan, there will be sparks if the battery is good:lol: Nothing to worry about:lol:
kind of thought that, that is why i said i would clean out the gas from the airbox...i will let you know the results....if I'm still here...lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, did this and got it to kick over once then nothing at all...i then place a jumper on the battery and it fired up...i did charge the battery the other day but it must not be holding. i will replace battery....

where to buy a 2005 RAPTOR 350 Battery???? let the search begin.

As for the carb....there is a ton of stuff on here, is this an easy take off and clean, should I just get a new one?

take a look at this pic, should it be open like this on the bottom?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yes, that opening is for air to get in at idle. Don't waste your money on a new carb, they are expensive. Just be real careful taking things of and remember where they go, label them even if it helps with some tape and marker. You can find batteries alot of places, online or parts stores.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that opening is for air to get in at idle. Don't waste your money on a new carb, they are expensive. Just be real careful taking things of and remember where they go, label them even if it helps with some tape and marker. You can find batteries alot of places, online or parts stores.
I can do this, but i have no idea what i'm looking for and why the gas is getting in the air box...like i said it filled it up while it was just sittiung there overnight with the reserve on? is there a float that could be getting stuck open? Could the carb problem be why it doesnt want to start after running a bit? could it be flooding?

·
2011 RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
883 Posts
i have a bunch of raptor 350 parts that are in awesome shape. ( looks like new )

Carb
seat
gas tank
frame with title
front brake system ( complete )
swing arm
front shocks
front spindles
rear axle

Tons more just let me know.

All Parts will be Cheap

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have a bunch of raptor 350 parts that are in awesome shape. ( looks like new )

Carb
seat
gas tank
frame with title
front brake system ( complete )
swing arm
front shocks
front spindles
rear axle

Tons more just let me know.

All Parts will be Cheap
pm sent

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I cleaned out the carb as best I could. I'm still have the restart issue. When we first start the bike, all is good and it fires right up. We go ride and it works perfect (choke full off), we turn it off and when we try and start again, it doesnt want to start. About the only way we can get it to start is (w/ choke off), hold in full throttle and hit start button for a good bit until it kicks over. It wont start with choke on. Is this a carb issue?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will it run with the choke on like it would with it off? I had that problem with my 80, and adjusted a screw and that made it run great after then.
With a cold start it will run fine with choke on, we turn it off after a couple minutes or sooner depending on how he is running it. It doesn't like to run with choke on after it's warmed up...but I guess it will. It won't idle with choke on after warm but idles fine with it off.

It's wierd, as soon as it gets warm, seems to be when we have an issue with restart.

Once it's started, it runs awesome, 100% power, no smoke. I just checked the Air box, we dont have any gas in there now but a pretty good gas smell that i'm guessing is coming from the carb...but i guess that is to be expected.

What is the thumb screw for beside the carb?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The one that is like a dipstick is the a/f mixture screw.
OK, that has not been messed with, so that should not be the problem. I think I will look to replace the carb and do a K&N Air Filter mod at the same time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts