Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2003 raptor 660. It pull started a few times. Fixed solenoid relay and battery. Hooked it up key worked..neutral light came on and now it cranks over but wont fire..Help please

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,764 Posts
Charge your battery or jump from your wife's car.

·
Super Moderator
8,804 Posts
Confirm you have fuel flowing.

·
Super Moderator
8,804 Posts
Nope, not sounding stupid. Never a bad question in here. You have a petcock that turns the fuel on, below the gas tank. Follow that line to where it leads into the carb. Remove it from the carb with fuel lever off. Direct the line in a safe bowl and turn the lever to on. If fuel flows at a good rate, that is not the issue.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, not sounding stupid. Never a bad question in here. You have a petcock that turns the fuel on, below the gas tank. Follow that line to where it leads into the carb. Remove it from the carb with fuel lever off. Direct the line in a safe bowl and turn the lever to on. If fuel flows at a good rate, that is not the issue.
Now everything works button turns it over and its just backfiring. Even with starting fluid. Just not starting up tho. I jave good spark. Is this a valve or timing issue ??. I cleaned carbs real good. Idk What to do anymore

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked timing didnt look to be off much..maybe a tooth ??? I checked valves prettys sure I adjusted them right ?? Now it's blowing carb off intake. Tried to fix it again now the solenoid is clicking. I am about fed up

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Blowing carbs off means that either the timing is off, or you adjusted the valves to the correct gap, but on the wrong stroke.
I understand your frustration, but don't give up, you are getting closer to fixing it, belive it or not.
Walk away, go back later with a clear head, check the timing and valve clearance again, unless you have a bent valve, it's not a hard fix from here.

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
You've got to keep the battery charged (or stay jumped to an auto battery) while testing or you'll drive yourself crazy with dead battery...

You're getting closer - think of your satisfaction when it first starts!

Reactions: 2oo3raptor660

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I think I'm on the right stroke. But still not starting. Cleaned carbs and its not blowing carb off but almost backfiring out exhaust when u hit throttle. I looked at timing sprocket and the left Mark is up higher than the right one along the head. Could it be the one tooth off timing ??. I am pretty sure im doing the valves correctly. And thanks in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think it jumped time..no marks on inside of casing. Tensioner seems ok. Chain didnt seem to have slack in it either. Hopefully I'm getting closer. Can I unloosen tensioner and turn sprocket to line up dots and put chain back on ? Is that ok to do ?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
The service manual is in the stickies.
Follow it on how to set the timing, that way you can be sure it is correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts