Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I went riding today for the first time since I installed the pipe jets and intake and the bike ran fine all day. It did sputter a little in the mid range but besides that it was ok. On the last run of the day it stalled and wouldnt start back up. We had to push it out the woods to get it out. I got it home and checked for spark which I have and there is fuel in the bowls. When it cranks it makes a clacking almost crunching sound. I don't have a compression tester what are the odds i snapped a valve or something let loose?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok so I went riding today for the first time since I installed the pipe jets and intake and the bike ran fine all day. It did sputter a little in the mid range but besides that it was ok. On the last run of the day it stalled and wouldnt start back up. We had to push it out the woods to get it out. I got it home and checked for spark which I have and there is fuel in the bowls. When it cranks it makes a clacking almost crunching sound. I don't have a compression tester what are the odds i snapped a valve or something let loose?
Dropping a valve will usually make no noise at all when you turn the engine over after the fact, but it will also turn over like there is not compression............
Did it make a noise when it stalled in the bush...............

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No noise when it crapped out..But when I tried starting it back up it wouldnt start and the noise started. It almost sounds like the piston could be hitting something, and I took the spark plug wire off and turned it over it still made the noise.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And there is gas in the oil so I blew the damn motor :mad:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No noise when it crapped out..But when I tried starting it back up it wouldnt start and the noise started. It almost sounds like the piston could be hitting something, and I took the spark plug wire off and turned it over it still made the noise.
Was there damage to the sparkplug...............

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No need to get angry...............was there damage to the sparkplug................

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to check the oil and it started pouring out as soon as I loosened it. It was really thin and smelt like gas.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didnt get it out I'll do that tomorrow and let you know. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im taking her apart tonight hopefully it will be that the plug fouled out or was drowned bc of the big jets and it couldnt burn the fuel, but Im thinking I cracked a piston somehow because of the gas in the oil tank.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was there damage to the sparkplug...............
If there is, I should just change the oil and replace the plug? Im really hoping that this is nothing major but if it is I guess its time for a 686 :wow:

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Okay, here's a scenario that sounds plausible, from your symptoms, that does not include serious engine damage.

Are your carb vent tubes leading down thru the frame, or are they ending above the carbs? If a float valve is leaking (common after cleaning the carbs, and I assume you did this when you re-jetted) and the tubes are above the carbs (or if the overflow tube in the float chamber is plugged up), you can dump raw fuel into the cylinder. Then, when trying to start, if the starter one-way is nearly worn out (also very common), the crunching sound you hear could be due to the one-way slipping because compression is so high in the nearly hydro-locked cylinder.

Have you checked to see if there's any excess fuel in the air box? This would also be expected in the above scenario.

I sure can't tell you that this IS your issue... but it is one that should at least be investigated before tearing the engine apart.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds like it could definitely could be the problem. Unfortunately Im not home yet to start the diagnosis. Thanks again for all your help you guys have been a big help getting to learn the ins and outs of my machine. I will keep you guys posted as to what I find when I get home. Thanks again!!!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If there is, I should just change the oil and replace the plug? Im really hoping that this is nothing major but if it is I guess its time for a 686 :wow:
The reason I ask this is because if there is a broken valve, 99% of the time you will have damage to the sparkplug...............:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked the plug last night (which was fine)along with some other things by the time we were done though it was to late to start it, didnt want to wake the neighbors lol. After work Im going to fill her with some fresh oil (I ran 2 quarts through last night to clear all the gas) and try to start it up and we will see where we are.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Did you see any fuel in your airbox?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Negative, but it did smell of gas. I took the carb off again adjusted the needles and reset the a/f to 3 turns. The vent tube was above the carb, and the vent tube for the crank case is now open since I removed the snorkel. Should I put a filter or something there? I just orderd the pro flow intake kit will that have a filter for the crank case in it?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also forgot to mention, when I was riding before it died if I wasnt on the gas at low rpm it would sputter and almost stall if I didnt get back on it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did not adjust the level just took them out and inspected for holes and such. What should I do for the crank case breather?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went to check the oil and it started pouring out as soon as I loosened it. It was really thin and smelt like gas.
I had the same thing happen to me but it was from overfilling the oil. Have you recently chaged/added oil. As Soon as i loosened the dip-stick it started pouring oil out of the tank.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts