Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey.

Okay, so. I'm 16, weigh around 150lbs, I ride sleds in the winter, and have ridden quads since longer than I can remember. At the moment I have a Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4. I have an opportunity to get a 2007 Raptor 700 with about 50 hours on it.

I'm not into mudding or anything like that to utilize a 4x4 quad anymore. It's just not my thing. With that being said, I don't like going crazy fast either. I like technical trails and dune type riding.

I have my King Quad for sale and will be able to afford the Raptor. My Dad and one of my best friends seem to both think I'm insane. I don't have much experience with sport quads, or really riding a quad with a clutch. I used to ride an old King Quad that had a 5 speed, but no clutch involved. I can drive standard in a car fine, and I know engines and how they work like the back of my hand.

My friend that I mentioned has a 2004 Kawasaki KFX700, but he's 20 and has a lot more quadding experience than me, and he's much larger & stronger.

Both him and my Dad think I should start on something much smaller, which I can understand, but the thing is, this is my only opportunity to upgrade. My current quad is going to depreciate, that Raptor is going to depreciate, anything I buy right now is going to depreciate, and if I get something even smaller, it'll be worth nothing and I won't have the money to upgrade to a better quad once I do learn.

I want your guys' opinion. Do you think I'd be able to ease my way into riding a Raptor 700? I'm not going to act all over-confident and go get myself killed doing stupid stuff on it. I have a lot of self-control and am able to gradually increase what I do. That's how I am with sledding. (I ride a 2012 Arctic Cat M800 for a sled by the way)

I know my limits, that's all, but they don't seem to agree with me.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Hey.

Okay, so. I'm 16, weigh around 150lbs, I ride sleds in the winter, and have ridden quads since longer than I can remember. At the moment I have a Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4. I have an opportunity to get a 2007 Raptor 700 with about 50 hours on it.

I'm not into mudding or anything like that to utilize a 4x4 quad anymore. It's just not my thing. With that being said, I don't like going crazy fast either. I like technical trails and dune type riding.

I have my King Quad for sale and will be able to afford the Raptor. My Dad and one of my best friends seem to both think I'm insane. I don't have much experience with sport quads, or really riding a quad with a clutch. I used to ride an old King Quad that had a 5 speed, but no clutch involved. I can drive standard in a car fine, and I know engines and how they work like the back of my hand.

My friend that I mentioned has a 2004 Kawasaki KFX700, but he's 20 and has a lot more quadding experience than me, and he's much larger & stronger.

I want your guys' opinion. Do you think I'd be able to ease my way into riding a Raptor 700? I'm not going to act all over-confident and go get myself killed doing stupid stuff on it. I have a lot of self-control and am able to gradually increase what I do. That's how I am with sledding. (I ride a 2012 Arctic Cat M800 for a sled by the way)
Maybe you can, maybe you cant...

The raptor is a power house compared to your 450 4x4. A real torque monster. You got to be strong because the raptor will not be easy on you. You say:I don't like going crazy fast either. So why do you wanna get a raptor? They are made to go fast. I dont doubt you being able to ride it, but not going fast with it...Please LOL.

There is more maintenance on a raptor or any other sport quad than their is on a 4x4. Hope you know what your getting into.

The raptor is a great bike. If you take good care of it, it will take good care of you. If you dont respect its power it will bite you and even kill you.

You weight 150 lbs and the raptor weighs in at about 439 wet. If you get pinned under it will you be able to push it off ? Think about it...

If i was you and the fact you do not know clutch sport quads but are 16 i would get a nice z400 or ex400 and LEARN my way up to the 700 raptor. No point in jumping on the big bike right away is there?

Your mind is probably already made up about the 700 but i just hope you get the proper gear and helmet to protect all of it. Being in a wheelchair sure sucks if its for the rest of your life.

A z400 or a ex400 will be as fun, as fast (kind of), lighter than, as reliable, able to wheelie and jump... you name it...as any raptor.

Just be safe and think about what i wrotte.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Raptor 700 has quite a bit of torque and since you know how to drive manual in a car, it's basically the same thing on a quad, plus they are very easy to get used to, should take you maybe half a day to feel comfortable with the clutch I'd assume since you already know how the clutch/gas works with a car. I went from a modded 07 GSX-R 600 to my Raptor 700 and to me the Raptor is fast, but nothing that is scary fast to ME (mine isn't modded much either though). In my opinion, you would do fine starting with a Raptor 700 if you take it easy and really taking the time to learn how to ride it, but what it will really all boil down to is, how comfortable will YOU be riding a torque monster, do YOU feel it would be a good quad to get?

A little info that I found when I was researching which quad was best for me was that I found that the Raptor requires less maintenance than other quads (in its class) and it's a very reliable quad and it's great for both dunes and trail riding (which I do quite a bit of trail riding), plus I love the way that they look and that is what made me decide on getting mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I understand that the 700 is a MUCH bigger quad than my 450, power wise, but I've been pinned under my 450 before, and I was able to get out of it. I've been pinned under my sled many times and it comes in at just over 500lbs wet.

As for the gear, I have never even gone near any sort of ATV without proper safety gear, whether it be a quad, or my sled. I wear protective gear quadding and protective gear, as well as avalanche gear; sledding.

Torque is what I LOVE in a vehicle. I mean, I'll ride the Raptor fast one day, once I'm used to it, but I plan to take it easy, on some easy trails in the beginning...

I also understand that the maintenance is a lot more, but that's okay with me. I unload my sled after every trip and go over everything before the next trip out. I understand maintenance, and I'm somewhat mechanically inclined.

I love the idea of getting the Raptor, and it's a really good deal too.

·
Pity is freely given, Jealousy is earned
264 Posts
Sounds like you got your mind made up. The raptor will only go as fast as you tell it too. My wife rides mine with no problems but she takes it really slow since she has never been on any type of ATV before. If you have as much experience as you say with your 4x4 and sleds, I think you'll be okay on the raptor. If you got a 400 you would probably be wanting more in another year or two. With the raptor that should keep you happy for a while and then there are tons of mods to choose from when your ready.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If you use your head you'll be more than fine. Just watch out the Raptor in stock form is a bit tippy but if you already have quad and sled experience, that should be no issue.

The only bad thing about the Raptor is that if it's still not enough... you'll need to mod to get better cause there isn't anything better on the market :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Haha thank you, guys. You guys are giving me the encouragement I was looking for. I already read about the raptor being a bit tippy stock, so I'll probably widen it and put a longer swingarm under it eventually.

Do you guys think 1 inch wheel spacers would be a safe alternative until I can afford wider a-arms and all of that good stuff?

Like I said: I've been riding quads for longer than I can remember and have been riding sleds since I was 10 years old. I learned to ride a sled on an '05 Arctic Cat M7 with 140+ HP, and I did fine.

I was also wondering: If there is a situation where its either I have to go through a bit of mud or turn around, will it be able to wrestle it's way through it? I don't mean anything stupid deep or anything, but just the odd bit of mud now & then.

See: thats the reason I don't wanna get a 400 or 450, 'cause in a couple years, I'll be wanting more, but won't be able to get more. The Raptor will keep me satisfied for a long time.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
There's a throttle limitor screw on the thumb throttle you can adjust it in so you don't over do it. The raptor can make you feel very comfortable and it's easy to get over confident quick then it'll bite you in the ass. So get the raptor take it easy like you said and remember that when it bites it hurts. Even guys that's rode since I was 9 can get caught up in how comfortable it made me feel then I went nuts on it and rolled it lol. I started on an old CR80 at 9 by 12 I jumped on my uncles 85 model CR 500 what a giant step but I'm still here to tell the story. That thing had a wicked powerband and gave me lots of bumps and bruises. They rather me by on it than the flip at any speed 250r 3 wheeler that was also scary fast. Like anything take your time get used to it like anything new you gotta get the feel of it before really letting her rip. btw way if you don't wreck it you ain't really riding it. Even the best wreck just try not to wreck it or do anything to wreck less.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Haha thank you, guys. You guys are giving me the encouragement I was looking for. I already read about the raptor being a bit tippy stock, so I'll probably widen it and put a longer swingarm under it eventually.

Do you guys think 1 inch wheel spacers would be a safe alternative until I can afford wider a-arms and all of that good stuff?

Like I said: I've been riding quads for longer than I can remember and have been riding sleds since I was 10 years old. I learned to ride a sled on an '05 Arctic Cat M7 with 140+ HP, and I did fine.

I was also wondering: If there is a situation where its either I have to go through a bit of mud or turn around, will it be able to wrestle it's way through it? I don't mean anything stupid deep or anything, but just the odd bit of mud now & then.

See: thats the reason I don't wanna get a 400 or 450, 'cause in a couple years, I'll be wanting more, but won't be able to get more. The Raptor will keep me satisfied for a long time.
The tippiness really isn't that bad. I guess it compares to most of the bigger 4x4 quads. So long as you know how to control your weight and gas it a bit when cornering it's fine. A total noob trying to take a turn at higher speeds could get in trouble, but since you already have experience you won't need to widen it.

A cheap way to widen is the DiamondJCustoms kit. That's what I have on mine, been running like that for 3 years now and I'm extremely satisfied. The tie-rod extensions are crap, but I got some Modquad extended tie rods for 50$ a pair from TQS to fix the problem. Still about 250$ all included and I'm at ~50" front/rear and it's really stable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to keep it skinny enough in the front for tight trees, but need it to be stable. As for weight transfer, I'm good with that. You can't even ride a sled like mine in the terrain I ride without having really good weight transfer abilities. My 450 King Quad is tippy too, so I think I'll be used to it.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I ain't widened mine a bit both times I flipped it I was being an idiot. Once going up hill once skimming a mud hole tried shifting right before I got to the end of it and it kicked sideways grab traction and off I went. It never felt tippy to me as my buddy's 660 did though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm. I see. I'm kind of thinking the widest I'd go is probably an inch on each side... I think I'll eventually do a swingarm extension though, whether I get more power or not...

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Longer swingarm will not be as good as stock for trail riding..
I agree, Ill only use my +2 in open trails, stock is better. Unless of course you have 80+ hp like spider or dale, then you need it all the time lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
You will be fine Chris, just take it easy for a couple of weeks and wear good gear. My son, age 14, 95 lbs., first sport quad was a 660 last summer and he is doing great.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So these things aren't total wheelie monsters if you're careful with them then?
They are wheelie monsters only when you want them to be, i went from a small 2003 blaster to a 2008 700r and it was a big change and it bit me in the first week by going to fast and then needing to stop in a hurry, endoed it about 8 times in that roll, if you take it easy and get used to it you will have no problem, if you get to gutsy right away it will bite you in the a$$ quick.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
So these things aren't total wheelie monsters if you're careful with them then?
I ride stock swinger at 80+ hp double what stock is and 60+ tq almost double again with a very aggressive tire and front only comes up when daddy says so. Some folks sit to far back on seat instead of dead center which will cause it to wheelie wildly and corner funny. Sit in the center of your bike closer to tank like you had a passenger on it you'll be fine as long as you don't dump the clutch at full throttle then the fronts coming up or you're spinning big time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah, okay. I'm kind of concerned for when I'm riding in the trees and I encounter a hill with a bit of roots on it, if it's gonna come up when I don't want it to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts