Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i am new to this site. and i have been looking around at atv's and came to a conclusion that the raptor 700r is a good bet to go with but my question is: i have never riddin a quad before and i want one so badly. and once again the 700r seems like a good one to choose. i have been reading a lot about it. but is this a good bike to have as your first quad? i want to let you guys know that i am a very careful person and is not the kind of person to gun it and fly on my ass. i take it easy when i get to know the thing i am handling with then well you know. i am at the point where i am dieing to have a quad and i go on websites every day to learn about mainly the 700r. but i am not even that sure on how to even start the machine :lol:

oh and i am 5 foot 9 and i weigh 175 pounds and i am 16 years old.

if you guys can tell me if this is an ok first timer then that would be great but also any other info if it is not a good start.

and is using the clutch ans shift hard at all?
thank you,
devin

·
Registered
105 Posts
:wave: Welcome to the site. If I was you I would get something smaller so you can get your riding skills improved. I started out with a Polaris Trailblazer 250 and it is a good learners quad. If you go straight to the 700r it will probably scare the crap out of you the first time you hit the gas. Do you know how to use the clutch and shift? If you have any other questions just search through the site first then if you don't find an answer just make a thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont ave any experience with anything but i have a friend that has that stuff and he was telling me how to use everyhting and i have seen him riding and stuff. the reason why i want a 700r is because. i dont want to buy something just to give me experience you know? i just want to get the thing that i will be getting in the future (700r) instead of wasting all that money on something else that wont be riddin after i purchase the 700r. i am thinking i can just be careful with it and when i get used to it then i can build up from there but with the same quad. i have done something similar before but it was with a goped not something big like this.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
go for it, just respect it and it will respect you....... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
XxsiktirxX said:
i dont ave any experience with anything but i have a friend that has that stuff and he was telling me how to use everyhting and i have seen him riding and stuff. the reason why i want a 700r is because. i dont want to buy something just to give me experience you know? i just want to get the thing that i will be getting in the future (700r) instead of wasting all that money on something else that wont be riddin after i purchase the 700r. i am thinking i can just be careful with it and when i get used to it then i can build up from there but with the same quad. i have done something similar before but it was with a goped not something big like this.

Ok. I agree with loose. Just be careful and respect it and have fun. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
XxsiktirxX said:
haha thanks loose nutz :grin_nod: i like your username.
it's cause all the loose screws in my head :eek: :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
383 Posts
These things are beasts waiting to be unleashed. If you're not careful they can bite you in the ass. If you get one dont get ahead of yourself. They want to move and if you've never ridden one before they can make a lot of close calls. Learn at your own speed. Shifting is something you'll get use to, it just takes practice just like any other part of riding. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
loose nutz said:
go for it, just respect it and it will respect you....... :thumbsup:
+1

I agree, thats what we tell noob's on the sportbike sites, start slow and don't go crazy until your skills improve... :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site.... 8)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Listen to raptair700r, these things are BEASTS and mine's bit me last sunday. Just take it easy on the gas and learn how to work the clutch. I learned how to ride the day I bought my 660 back in '03 and I've only been thrown off of it once. I've had my 700 for a year now and last weekend was the worst wreck I've ever had on my raptors. Just remember to always where your helment and ride with respect to self and the machine. You'll be fine after a little practice. :thumbsup: 8)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If you decide to buy a quad, do yourself a favor and buy some riding gear before you drop any $$$ on mods.. 8)

If nothing else a good helmet and some riding boots.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Go you it :thumbsup: My first quad was a blaster. One heads ups... Don't put your feet down when the quad is rolling... Becasue it will roll right up the back of your leg. :mad:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
also, to make sure you don't over gas it at first, you could adjust your speed limiter and govern yourself, that way you don't overdo it,and just keep letting it out more while your skills increase
http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=8566.0
have you driven a manual car? if so just apply that to your hands as far as shifting goes,
other wise try to get your friend to show you on one of his quads if he can, if not you'll have to learn from scratch, and as long as you pay attention you should be ok..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
onelunglow said:
Go you it :thumbsup: My first quad was a blaster. One heads ups... Don't put your feet down when the quad is rolling... Becasue it will roll right up the back of your leg. :mad:

+1

Sound advice.......Thats another reason to wear MX boots and not sneakers !! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright thank you guys so much for all this info :thumbsup: i really appreciate it. but i have one more question. is the shifter on the handle bars or on the peg thing? do you hands shift or do your feet shift? once again thank you

·
Registered
105 Posts
XxsiktirxX said:
alright thank you guys so much for all this info :thumbsup: i really appreciate it. but i have one more question. is the shifter on the handle bars or on the peg thing? do you hands shift or do your feet shift? once again thank you
Left hand pulls in the clutch and then you shift with your foot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
damn i wish my first quad was a 700 i started out with an atc 110 three wheeler when i was like twelve. i say go for it just get used to it and wear riding gear and last but not least have a blast!

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Either the Raptor 350 or a 300EX would be were I start if I had no experience. 700R is OK for a first quad, its just a beast of a machine thats not for the faint of heart. It will get ya into trouble before you know your in trouble. Im 33 and have been riding off and on since I was 9, started out with a 200cc and ended up with a 350cc and now I have a 700cc and it still got me into trouble. Im here today typing because I knew I was in trouble and knew what to do and was just lucky enough to get to do it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts