Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, just bought my Raptor last week. Gentleman I bought it from claimed engine was fully rebuilt and had many receipts to prove the point and the 4wheeler seemingly runs incredibly strong, great idle, etc.

My main question is, what does knock from these engines sound like? To be honest, I am not sure what these bikes are supposed to sound like as I have always been into building cars and definately know what knock sounds like on cars, lol :).

I guess its because I got a good deal and am probably being over analytical, but any advice would be great. Engine had 5 hours from rebuild when I bought, it is due for 2nd oil change at 15 according to him and my local shop seemed to agree. Oil looks great, coolant looks great, filter looks great (has a k & n), no leaks at all. Only real issue is shifter appears bent from a previousl wheelie gone bad.

Is an 01 raptor 660, I forgot to mention that. I guess if anyone has a stock idle video that would be awesome with a rev or two to give me an idea of what these things are supposed to sound like.

Thanks and I look forward to learning more about the raptor, oh and bought the girlfriend a warrior 350 today, so hitting trails Saturday, so quick feedback is appreciated :).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did he have a reciept for any tranny work? where is your knock comming from?
Honestly not sure its knock. There is a noise coming from what may be the head. I use 93 octane so I doubt its pinging. It may be that I haven't ridden a 4wheeler in 10 years and have forgotten normal noises.

I believe if I were to hear a stockish raptor from idle, it would probably set my mind at ease, lol. Definately not coming from what I would perceive as the tranny (not 100% wear gears are in reference to engine)

Craig

·
I am unique
22,620 Posts
Check that all hardware is tight, especially the engine mount bolts at the top of the engine and the front of the engine...........

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe it has a timing chain rattle:confused:
I could buy that...Its going in for a full service Tuesday. With it running and idling well, do you guys believe it ok to drive an all day trail this weekend?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't smoke or hiccup at idle or acceleration. I am going to check all the fluids again tomorrow and hit the trails then.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im sure you could find some idling videos on youtube... where are you located, maybe someone local could come take a listen to it
I looked at youtube yesterday and searched this site and couldn't find any. I have a dvd camcorder and can't get the video to transfer or download to my computer or I would just post one up. The crappy cell phone video isn't any good or it would already be posted lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, went ahead and loaded up the cell phone video:

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
Does it make a rattling noise when your riding it? If so your valves might be out of range....Just a thought.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will redo the video outside later when weather clears a little. Valves may be a little loose, I could buy that as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh and no rattling that I have noticed while riding

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, here are 2 more videos, one at start up and one after a few minutes idle and running a while at idle. Fires 1st time and idles like a champ. Leaning toward valves or its just what it is supposed to sound like lol :).

start up:

warm idle:

·
Master of the Electron
14,549 Posts
Unfortunately, a cell phone doesn't record audio with very much bandwidth, so it's hard to eqaute what I'm hearing to any real world experience.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately, a cell phone doesn't record audio with very much bandwidth, so it's hard to eqaute what I'm hearing to any real world experience.
worth a shot tho :(. I was concerned with the cell phone video as well. I may try a digital camera tomorrow and hope for better luck. Thanks for trying though.

After searching youtube again, I was able to find a few videos of raptors idling, but most were focusing on their exhausts (which sound great :)), however I was unable to find a idle video that satisfied my search :(.

I will try again tomorrow with a better camera, cell phone and the dvd camcorder (which I still don't know how to load videos with lol).

Craig

·
Registered
91 Posts
does it have a hot cam in it. I've called hot cams before and they told me that the motor well knock a little but. running there hot cams.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts