Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wanting suggestions on a high compression piston. i was wanting to use a stage 1 hot cam and a standard stroke and bore high compression piston. i want to be able to run pump gas. how much of a compression bump could i use.
I was also wondering when you install a hot cam does it have to be degreed. and do you need the shim kit for the stage1. oh almost forgot i am running a 2005 660 with ct racing exhaust an pro design intake system with a k&n.. and also will there be a noticable power increase with this setup or should i just go straight to a 686 big bore kit. i am trying to build the most power i can on a tight budget.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
11:1 piston is as high as you can technically go on pump gas
nothing else is needed for a stage 1 cam installation
660 Raptor don't use shims
as for your set-up theres others here that do a better job explaining than I do! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
mkm660 said:
so i should replace the connecting rod even if i use stock bore?
I personally wouldn't on that build. Especially with the stage 1, where you're not really in danger of spending much time at the limiter. That's not to say that the rod isn't weaker than it should be, but my experiences have told me that it's plenty strong enough for the majority of recreational riders out there.

And one main reason that I don't advocate replacing "just because" is that the con-rod is a 300 dollar ordeal if you do everything in house, 500-600 if you don't. At that point you might as well buy a new hotrods stock stroke crank for 250. But if you're going to spend 250 on the crank and 150 on the piston, why not spend a little more and get the stroker? And if you get the stroker, you should get a bigger cam and porting. Then you'll need carbs, and your 200 dollar upgrade just turned into a 2000 dollar project.

I spent just shy of 2 years on a 100mm 11:1 wiseco on stage 1 and 2 cams. I've got a few friends running that same setup now, all with stock rods. When I pulled mine it was mint and the others still run like a top.

If you do the piston install right (proper clearances, proper reassembly, etc) it should be very reliable for you for a very long time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys now i was wondering witch brand piston should i use a weisco or je. also will i have to degree the cam when i install it. also where is the best online shop to purchase the piston and cam.And will there be a noticable power increase with this set up. my goal is to run with slightly moded 450s. i can beat stock 450s and some that are piped with the current set up. I just want a little more power with out spending 2000 as mad dog pointed out.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Hands down Wiseco is the best choice. JE has had a questionable reliability history with their pump gas compression pistons.

The aftermarket cams are installed in the same orientation and timing as stock. Make sure to follow hotcams instructions on removing the decompression mechanism from the stock cam and installing in the new cam. It's a simple procedure but it's caused a lot of headaches in the past for many riders, me included. I also installed a cam 180 out, twice. None of it is all that complicated, just take your time and pay attention to the details. Another detail that I'll remind you about is the cam chain tensioner. Make sure when reinstalling it that you fully depress it back into itself. Installing it with the tensioner extended will stretch the chain and you'll be putting in a new cam chain.

MagicRacing.com has some competitive prices on the hotcam and the piston last time I looked. There are also deals to be found on ebay. You may want to take a quick look at the cylinder before you order the piston though, just to be sure that you won't need a bore. Pay good attention to Wiseco's piston clearance specs.

With that setup (pipe/filter/no lid/11:1 100mm wiseco/hotcam 1 and 2) I was very competitive with the 450s. I never got beaten in the hill climb by any bolt on 4 stroke and did pretty well with banshees as well. There will be a noticeable power increase.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks mad dog your awsome if your ever in the st. louis area let me know i will have to buy you a beer. i am pretty sure all i will have to do is hone the cylinder. my bike only has 25-30 hours on it tops. I am a auto mechanic by trade so i am pretty sure i can handle this build with the advice of this great website

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.