Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out riding today (with 22" tires which i'm starting to hate, but thats another story) and we starting playing around on a 15-20' dirt mound. I find when I'm climing hills, I have to go the direction the raptor wants to go. My buddy on a banshee can steer really well when he is climbing hills. If I lean foward I can steer a little better, but really not much and I usually just loose all my traction. Today it bit me in the ass and I rolled down a 20' hill with the four wheeler rolling over me. Hurt back and hella swollen hand later I have nothing to do except sit around and figure out what I can change.

My friend got on my raptor while I was sitting/sulking about my blue/bloody/swollen hand. He goes for the hill I just did. He gets to the same point and almost flips sideways like I did, but rolls back down. He tries again - ditto. He hops on his banshee and goes right up it. At the point where the hill throws the raptor to the right, he can actually turn left and go up some more. I find this happening ALL the time when following him around.

Any rise on the right or left side will make the raptor go the other direction. It always seems like its going to flip over on its side. I'm on a '05 w/ stock everything. 22" rear/23" front Holeshots. My last '01 raptor had 20"rear/22" front and felt the same way. I'd go buy yfz shocks in a heartbeat if I new they would help. I'm also looking at a wider rear axle (from teh same guys banshee, he is going wider). I'm worried about the negative effect of being wider. There are plenty of times where I get in binds on hills because one front wheel is WAY off the ground due to how the back tires are sitting. Seems like a wider rear axle would just hurt this, but maybe softer shocks would let the front end droop some.

ok, done ranting now.

On a plus note, the banshee broke down and got towed in by the raptor. Bad part is he's pretty sure he sucked sand in the carb, so he might be out of commision for a while.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
extended swing-arm (+4) and a-arms with a +1 forward (besides the width, they can be moved up to the front as well) the added wheel base distance (total of +5) should stabilize your quad on steep inclines, but you'll start to loose manueverability in the woods, and on tight paths (nothing, I'm sure you couldn't work around). I've been there, and wrecked my quad the same way, instead mine was straight down a 40' hill...cliff.. :crazy:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if lengthening the bike will make it hard to turn on hills. The hills and most places we ride are pretty tight quarters.

I have ridden his banshee and it seems so nimble. Also rode a honda 450 and it seemed super easy to throw around. Am I on the wrong four wheeler? I'm wondering if I'm trying to make the raptor something its not. It really feels like a pig, I went and put 22" rears on it (dropped a tooth on the front for power) and now it really feels like a pig. More speaking of turning than power. When flying down roads and threw fields, its like its all over the place. I took off on the 450 and I could feel the same bumps, but they didn't change the course of the bike near as bad. I'm hoping a set ofr yfz shocks will help that.

I'm really having cold feet about spending money on this thing. I ordered a yoshi pipe/jets/chain/tires last week. Now starting to regret it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
this could just be a suggestion. maybe your tires are to big. i say that because the bigger the tires the more your ride will "bounce" around. maybe you should get smaller tires. but thats just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
those 22 and 23" tires aren't helping out in the weight department either. They'll make the rappy feel like a pig, especially when jumping. After going through razor 2's, holeshot hd's, of multiple sizes, the tire I like the best is the stock 700r tire. Its light, it doesn't hook up to the point where it wants to flip you (excellent wheel spin), and its very predictable. More than changing your wheel base and a less expensive route, would probably be going to a lighter, smaller tire. It'll help from making it feel like a pig, but you'll loose ground clearnce and traction. Yfz shocks will definetly help.
Looks like someone beat me to it-

·
Registered
679 Posts
yea. the razrs that i have are really good tires. for me they dont feel like they are to stick to the point of flippage. they work for me just fine.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I like the 22's for rough muddy, rocky terrain,..nothing more. the 20's are better overall in my opinion.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 22/23" tires definately upped the "pig" feeling today, I noticed it the second I put them on. I also raced the 450 who used to just slightly pull on me, now he steadily walked on me. The clearance/footprint was really nice in the slop and soft stuff which I see a good bit of. Suprisingly the jumps landed alot easier on these tires. I figure it was due to the added sidewall. They are 22" on 9" wheels, my last set was 20" on 10" wheels.

I think I can get over the hard to slide feeling of these tires, I just have to make sure and not run out of rpm's on the corners. The slower hill climbing is what really gets me though. If i'm on the gas, I'm at hte mercy of the raptor on which direction I'm going. I've though it was me for months now, untill I hoppped on the banshee and it was so much easier to "navigate" up the hill. I could change my direction alot easier. I had this same problem when I was on 22" front/20" rear Holeshots.

·
Registered
240 Posts
22's are perfect for hill climbing, more contact patch. They will give you a smoother ride due to more flex. The problem may be your axel alignment, make sure your axel is a true 90 degrees to the frame, I used to have that problem with my stock swingarm, I would tighten the chain and align the marks the same but it would pull to the right. I had to set the marks slightly different to get the axel true and that solved the problem. Good luck

·
Registered
176 Posts
Extended my stocker +2, preloaded the front shocks all the way, added a 12 tooth front sprocket and she goes up hills I never would have been able to make up before. The +2 also makes it easier to slide when I want, and barely affected turning radius.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can you still buy those swingarm extensions for the 660? is it a pretty good product? or am i better off getting an aftermarket swingarm?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I think JTM made them, but I believe they are long out of business. If I recall correctly, twisted welded an extension into his stock swinger. Completely modded it on his own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts