Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question for all you guys running mud plugs on your hipers.

How much dirt/mud does it keep out since the inside of the wheel is still open to whatever conditions you are riding in?

Anyone have any pics of the how they mount up? Is it just a metal piece that one of the beadlock bolts go through between the ring and the wheel itself?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think on the inside some guys use foam mudplugs that have a hole in the center for the axle.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
i don't know if you can see it very well in the picture below. i don't use the mud plugs unless it's wet or muddy out. there are three clips that hold the mud plug on.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
How much dirt/mud does it keep out since the inside of the wheel is still open to whatever conditions you are riding in?
most of the mud gets in the outer portion of the wheel when you turn or slide through the corners. the mud plug eliminates that. the inside of the wheel will get a slight mud build-up, but doesn't affect the rotating mass as much as the outside of the wheel.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea I can kinda see how they mount. I was just thinking they don't look that hard to fab something up to use as a mud plug.

I'm just bored sitting at home thinking shit up to do with my time ..... lol

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yea I can kinda see how they mount. I was just thinking they don't look that hard to fab something up to use as a mud plug.
correct, it wouldn't be difficult at all. if i showed you the clips, you can easily duplicate it with scrap aluminum and plastic.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wow... Nice bike and mud plugs Woods! Where did you get that jack?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks fl. HOJ showed me how they mount, I shoulda traced them so I can mock some up. I'm gonna try and make my own. FL what offset are your front tires? 3+2?

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Thanks fl. HOJ showed me how they mount, I shoulda traced them so I can mock some up. I'm gonna try and make my own. FL what offset are your front tires? 3+2?
Yup 3+2, I got a couple of those tabs spare I could trace one for ya and send ya a pattern! PM me your address if ya want it.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks fl, HOJ is local so I'll just meet up with him and trace one. I got the centers cut out already. I'll post up some pics.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
since i can't get the pictures to go through the text, 1 1/2" wide, 1 3/8" tall. .060 guage material. the slot up top is roughly 5/8" diameter.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man, I'm finishing up the mounts right now. I'll post pics of everything when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Here's what I got so far, the tabs are really crappy but they are just Gen 1 and will get redone so they look better.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm goin to lowes in the morning to get tabs to mount them up and I should be good to go.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the rest of the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
not too shabby brotha. i'm not sure if lowes has them, but you can go to mcfaddendale and get those push-lock fasteners that are similar to the ones that the 450's are using now.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found a pic I liked on the internet, saved it to the computer and stretched it to the size I want. My bro is gonna take the picture files to his work and print them out on the printers there so they are better quality.

Thanks for the feedback guys. All in all I've spent $10 making these and maybe 2 hrs of straight work.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got some automotive clips and they work great, I'm about to leave the house to go for a ride and I'll report on how they do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts