Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble mounting my new Hiper Tech 3's on my rear tires. I'm thinking I must be doing something whack as I wasn't expecting this to be such a cluster-cuss.

First off. I have the Hiper Tech 3 single bead lock wheels (0980-YHR-SBL) wheel which I believe the 0980 means 9x8. Now that should fit on my ITP Holeshot XC/AT20x11x9 tire right? My understanding is the last number in the tire size should equal the first number of the wheel size, right? In my case 9.

Trouble is I can't get the fricken' bead to seal when I add the air. After screwin' around with it for awhile using tie straps, etc. I finally got it to seal. At least I thought I did anyway. I filled it up to 25 lbs. to get it to seal good with the intention of dropping it way down later. Anyway, with the 25 lbs. in them I happend to stand push on the side wall (don't know why I did this, I was just diggin' 'em I guess) then the fricken bead broke and of course all the air came out. What gives?

Assuming my wheel and tire sizes jive; how exactly do these bead lock rims work? I would greatly appreciate an explanation as to the physics on how these suckas work. Additionally, I'm open to any suggestions/comments as to WTF I'm screwin' up.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Everything sounds right. The HiPer wheels seat just like the rest, although HiPer recommends using WD40 to help seat the bead.

I personally don't mount my own wheels and tires, I take them to a local shop and pay them to do it although I stand there and torque the rings myself.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna give it another go. That is, I'm gonna break em down, clean the beads real good and use WD-40.

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
I had real trouble getting my fronts to seal. I tried WD40 and then soap and water with no luck. In the end I used proper tyre soap and the sealed sraight away. :confused: it was sat in the workshop all along....mocking me :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I thinkg your trying to put a 9 inch tire on an 8 inch wheel.... but i may be wrong

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I got it. I went ahead and tore 'em all apart, cleaned the rims and tire beads again. There must've been a booger or something causing the problem. This time they filled right up. Funny how walking away and coming back the next day made such a difference.

Thanks for y'alls help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts