Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys Ive a little problem with my 01 660. i rebuilt the whole thing last year and i took it out of storage this year and when i went to start it the dash lights came on but when i went to hit the start button there was nothing the only thing that happened is that the temp light would come on. Im confused it worked fine when i put it away and all the connections are tight, the grounds are good, i dont know if i just need more juice from the battery or what but if anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated

·
Registered
435 Posts
double check the charge on the battery

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Do you hear a click from the starter relay under the seat when pressing the start button?

Remove seat, find the relay. Short across the two large lugs on the relay with a screwdriver or pair of pliers (ignore the sparks). Does the starter turn over now?

Have you charged the battery since bringing it out of storage? If not, do so. Also test with jumper cables to a known good, charged auto battery - what happens when try to start now?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havent gone and worked on it tonite but in the morning im gonna put the battery on he charger and then when i get home from work ill go from there thanks guys

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i put my battery on to charge while at work today came home tried the starter and nothing. so i took out the battery and i took my jumpers and i put it to the red cable off the relay and to the wire coming from the starter. it should of turned over rite?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok guys i took a piece of wire and put it under the main wire that goes to the starter motor from the relay, then i took that wire and put it on the positive terminal on the battery with the positve terminal wire. then when i took the negative wire and put it to the battery it started to crank over, but the weird thing was the key was off and so was the kill switches. now i dont know if its the relay or the main ignition switch? does this make any sense?

·
Registered
521 Posts
of course its gonna crank like that, youre taking power from the battery directly to the starter. youre bypassing the starter solenoid. if you hit the start button with the key on and the solenoid clicks, youre solenoid is shot. thats why you short the lugs on the solenoid, itll turn the starter over to start the bike.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
DID you do what I suggested above? With your mis-understanding of the proper testing procedures, your attempts to test are just going to cause damage.

Read my post, answer my questions, do what I ask and report back - this will get us going in the right direction.

JUST in case you missed them, here they are again:

Do you hear a click from the starter relay under the seat when pressing the start button?

Remove seat, find the relay. Short across the two large lugs on the relay with a screwdriver or pair of pliers (ignore the sparks). Does the starter turn over now?

Why would you put jumpers where you did? You were one step away from a meltdown. Put the battery back in, connect the battery cables - do my tests. Report back. We'll generate the next tests after you've reported these results.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok quadmaniac i did your test and yes the starter does turn over. and no i dont hear clicking sound when pressing the starter button

·
Registered
521 Posts
ok quadmaniac i did your test and yes the starter does turn over. and no i dont hear clicking sound when pressing the starter button
check your line between the starter button and the starter solenoid

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Okay, do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it (or a friend who does)? One or two measurements and I can tell you what's wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know this sounds really stupid and newbish but sometimes my Neutral light dont come on when its in neutral. Just happened to me today and freaked me out. I hit the start button and nothing. turned it back off back on back off back on, nothing. Put it in gear and then back into neutral and the N light came back on and it turned over. Im sure you know this but just figured I offer two cents.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I know this sounds really stupid and newbish but sometimes my Neutral light dont come on when its in neutral. Just happened to me today and freaked me out. I hit the start button and nothing. turned it back off back on back off back on, nothing. Put it in gear and then back into neutral and the N light came back on and it turned over. Im sure you know this but just figured I offer two cents.
Maybe it wasnt quite in neutral..............:)

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Neutral wire loose on switch, or switch starting to fail.

You should start your own thread instead of hijacking an existing one.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
Sorry, I assumed you were asking for help on an unrelated problem, not making a suggestion - my mistake! Also, this is why I asked you about the neutral switch issue in your other thread - Here, I didn't see you as describing a solution, just stating a problem. Does that make sense now? And, now that I look at your post in the proper context, I do see it was a suggested failure that could be the OP's problem, so apologies.

And no, not tempermental, just suggesting proper forum etiquette to a noob, again my mistake since you were trying to offer a solution.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it (or a friend who does)? One or two measurements and I can tell you what's wrong.
i do have volt meter but i have not a clue on how to use it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts